Tree Farms

/ Tree Farms #1  

murphy1244

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota 1120 RTV Kioti DK-40, MF-135, Ventrac 4500Y
Anyone else a Certified Tree Farm? I just got my credentials and expecting a sign delivered from my forester. Wondering who else out there loves our tree's.

/ Tree Farms #2  
Anyone else a Certified Tree Farm? I just got my credentials and expecting a sign delivered from my forester. Wondering who else out there loves our tree's.
Been looking into it (Christmas trees) but the cost of deer fencing is scaring me off. Helped a buddy plant an orchard a few years ago (28 trees of mixed varieties...apple, pear, plum) and he did 8' woven wire on 4x4 posts...OUCH!

/ Tree Farms #3  
All I've got is a Certified Family Forest.

Attachments

• tree-farm3.jpg
    tree-farm3.jpg
    481 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
   / Tree Farms #5  
...but I think we are pretty good stewards of the land as is.
This is what I think.

So what does "Certified Tree Farm" get you? Why get into the program, if you can do it yourself? Seems you can do it with out the program...

/ Tree Farms #6  
This is what I think.

So what does "Certified Tree Farm" get you? Why get into the program, if you can do it yourself? Seems you can do it with out the program...

All I know is it's another government program that purports to "Certify your forest". I was told by my State Forester that there is a move towards the big box stores "preferring" lumber from managed forests. Sort of a "Good Houskeeping" seal of approval. Basically all he did was "certify" that I had trees.

Realizing how government operates it seemed like something to get in que for since I was planning to do the same management plan the forester was suggesting.

I view it more a a good excuse for the Forester to survey the woods and go out and pound in a sign occasionally

/ Tree Farms #7  
We've never looked into certification, but over the years since our last farm was bought, we have taken approximately 50 acres out of crop production and reforested with a variety of pines and hardwoods. We have about 150 acres in semi old growth along with that for about 200 acres total. We have no plans to harvest any unless we could get a low impact operation in. Some of our neighbors have had loggers in and left an awful mess.

/ Tree Farms #9  
I plant hundreds of seedlings every year, and my wife used to say I was or should be ' certified ' .... And I transplant and cut up a bunch yearly, too. Does that count....????? :)

/ Tree Farms
This is what I think.

Sure you can but it won't cut your taxes like this does. I was just wondering if anyone else was in it. No need to get huffy over it.