trailer hitch hard to get on and off the ball

/ trailer hitch hard to get on and off the ball #1  

ericm979

Tractor
Branson 3725H Deere 5105
The hitch on my wood splitter has always been hard to get on and off the ball on my UTV's hitch. I have to stand on the tongue to get the ball to seat and crank up the jack and push down on the frame of the UTV to get it to release. I have checked about 20 times that they're both 2". I've adjusted the clamp on the hitch loose and tight (but still moves a little on the ball when I pull up) and neither way makes it drop on and off the ball like the hitch on my UTV trailer does.

What am I doing wrong?

/ trailer hitch hard to get on and off the ball #2  
Do you have another hitch to try with the ball and another ball to try with the wood splitter hitch?

My first guess would be that the wood splitter hitch could be bent inwards? ?

/ trailer hitch hard to get on and off the ball #3  
Maybe it was jack-knifed at some time in the past and the socket is bent inwards a bit.

Replace it. They are inexpensive and not worth the frustration.

Bruce

/ trailer hitch hard to get on and off the ball #5  
There's a reason (okay, several) why I've switched all the bumper pull stuff over to pintle setups.

/ trailer hitch hard to get on and off the ball #6  
There's a reason (okay, several) why I've switched all the bumper pull stuff over to pintle setups.

The junky stamped coupler wasn’t holding up on my wood splitter so I cut it off and went with a pintle ring. I purposely got the adjustable height one so I could remove it for extra security.
IMG_5604.JPG

/ trailer hitch hard to get on and off the ball #7  
As posted above a slight Jack knife or other issues will mess these bail type couplings up. Usually it’s the sides getting bent. My opinion they are junk. I Replace them on any trailor I obtain. What I know as a bulldog style are hard to mess up or have come loose.

Bulldog style hood type

Bail type prone to problems

/ trailer hitch hard to get on and off the ball
Do you have another hitch to try with the ball
The UTV trailer's hitch fits that ball fine.
and another ball to try with the wood splitter hitch?
I think I have a 2" ball for the truck somewhere, I can try that.
My first guess would be that the wood splitter hitch could be bent inwards? ?

I didn't even think of that, this is why I ask these here. I got the splitter used and maybe its hitch got bent. I've bought some really well-used trailers before and never had a problem with the hitches, but maybe those were sturdier hitches.

I'm absolutely not switching the splitter and trailer and UTV to a pintle. That's way more work than this warrants. It would make them pretty theft-proof though!

/ trailer hitch hard to get on and off the ball #9  
Replacing the low cost socket is the practical thing but if you're stubborn, like me, take some shoe polish, paint pigment, or some other colored paste that won't dry soon, and coat the ball, stick it in the socket, and look for an abnormal contact position. Then decide if it's repairable.

/ trailer hitch hard to get on and off the ball #10  
I used to spray the ball and trailer hitch with WD40 - makes it much easier to both hook it up and later unhook it.