Thoughts RE Bad Boy Renegade Diesel vs. Kubota ZD1200 ZT Mowers

/ Thoughts RE Bad Boy Renegade Diesel vs. Kubota ZD1200 ZT Mowers #1  

PatentGuy

Tractor
LX 2610
Would greatly appreciate your thoughts on these mowers. From my research the BB has suspension front and rear, while the Kubota has only front. The Kubota has an integrated drive transaxle and shaft drive deck, whereas the BB seems to have separate pumps and wheel motors with everything belt driven. I have a Kubota tractor but no experience with ZT. I have 10 acres with relatively steep hills and bumps, so was thinking the suspension and aggressive tires of the BB might be a plus in my situation. The BB is something like $1,500 less, but at these price points that is not much difference.

Thank you!

/ Thoughts RE Bad Boy Renegade Diesel vs. Kubota ZD1200 ZT Mowers #2  
I found ZTRs and steep hills dont mix. I had one (Ferris) for a few years and the mower was great but on our steep hills it just was not that great compared to a 4x4 Kubota. May want to test one on your land before buying to make sure it works for you.

/ Thoughts RE Bad Boy Renegade Diesel vs. Kubota ZD1200 ZT Mowers #3  
Don't want to start a war here, but when I hear "slopes" and "zero-turn", I think about the steering wheel equipped ZT mowers like Cub Cadet makes. If you've never tried one on slopes, you should take a look. On the standard lap-bar ZT, the front wheels are just big casters and on a slope they're constantly trying to drift downhill. You have to apply constant input on the rear wheels to keep pushing those front wheels back straight.

On the steering wheel ZT, you actually STEER those front wheels with a positive linkage steering wheel so they run straight and true in the direction you want to go. At the same time, your steering inputs drive separate rear wheel drive pumps just like any other ZT. It makes it almost impossible to do burn-out turns or spins because it feathers the input from side-to-side. You separately control overall speed with a foot pedal.

In my opinion, these steering wheel models really shine on slopes and hills because the front tires are guiding the mower instead of being forced back in line by the rear wheels.

/ Thoughts RE Bad Boy Renegade Diesel vs. Kubota ZD1200 ZT Mowers #4  
Would greatly appreciate your thoughts on these mowers. From my research the BB has suspension front and rear, while the Kubota has only front. The Kubota has an integrated drive transaxle and shaft drive deck, whereas the BB seems to have separate pumps and wheel motors with everything belt driven. I have a Kubota tractor but no experience with ZT. I have 10 acres with relatively steep hills and bumps, so was thinking the suspension and aggressive tires of the BB might be a plus in my situation. The BB is something like $1,500 less, but at these price points that is not much difference.

Thank you!

Howdy neighbor!

I live "right down the road" (highway 95) from you.... in Greenback.

Welcome.

/ Thoughts RE Bad Boy Renegade Diesel vs. Kubota ZD1200 ZT Mowers #5  
I found ZTRs and steep hills dont mix. I had one (Ferris) for a few years and the mower was great but on our steep hills it just was not that great compared to a 4x4 Kubota. May want to test one on your land before buying to make sure it works for you.

This is the best answer.

At $15000 plus for a mower, I would hope the dealer would be willing to let you demo on your property.

It won’t take you long to know if either mower will work on your land.

Good luck.

MoKelly

/ Thoughts RE Bad Boy Renegade Diesel vs. Kubota ZD1200 ZT Mowers #6  
Don't want to start a war here, but when I hear "slopes" and "zero-turn", I think about the steering wheel equipped ZT mowers like Cub Cadet makes. If you've never tried one on slopes, you should take a look. On the standard lap-bar ZT, the front wheels are just big casters and on a slope they're constantly trying to drift downhill. You have to apply constant input on the rear wheels to keep pushing those front wheels back straight.

On the steering wheel ZT, you actually STEER those front wheels with a positive linkage steering wheel so they run straight and true in the direction you want to go. At the same time, your steering inputs drive separate rear wheel drive pumps just like any other ZT. It makes it almost impossible to do burn-out turns or spins because it feathers the input from side-to-side. You separately control overall speed with a foot pedal.

In my opinion, these steering wheel models really shine on slopes and hills because the front tires are guiding the mower instead of being forced back in line by the rear wheels.

Agreed.

0F55573F-D6FF-4D97-B6E6-BC5C4E6389C8.jpeg

/ Thoughts RE Bad Boy Renegade Diesel vs. Kubota ZD1200 ZT Mowers #9  
I only use one hand with my joystick Country Clipper.

I saw those advertised in the back of our local RECC monthly magazine some time ago. Reminded me of a TORO machine that a friend had a while back. Never had a chance to see one up close or try it. I think I'd like the joystick control too.

/ Thoughts RE Bad Boy Renegade Diesel vs. Kubota ZD1200 ZT Mowers
Thank you greatly for your responses.

I will elaborate a bit on the hill situation, my front yard of about 5 acres is a hill, but it is gentle, would not be a problem for anything to drive sideways on it. On the other 5 acres we have some very steep hills, too steep to drive anything sideways on I would think, you can go up or down, preferably down, but not sideways. Have been using a JD X500 lawn tractor to mow for for a few years and you just go to the top and head down - without stopping as your couldn't. You can go up a less steep part after reaching the bottom, so you do not have to drive up the hill unless you want to. The JD 500x has no problem going up it with a few suitcase weights on the front, and my new LX2610 has no problem with the loader on - have not tried it without the loader on the front and probably would not because the LX2610 has no ability to put suitcase weights on the front.

The issue with the JD is that it takes about 7.5 hrs to mow the 10 acres, the issue with the LX2610 with a 6' RFM is that it takes about 7.5 hrs to mow the 10 acres. The RFF takes about 2' more than the JD per path, but cannot maintain its speed. So I'm thinking the real solution is a 5' deck moving at the speed of a ZT. Issue will be that some of the terrain is a bit bumpy and there are some holes and other things, so this does concern me with a ZT - I do not have 10 acres of golf course. Hence a yard, not a lawn.

Pleasure to meet you Richard.

I can certainly see if a dealer would bring one by for a test. I believe the BB can be ordered with much more aggressive tires, to the extent that has relevance. It also has suspension on the mower, not just the seat, which also may be of relevance. But I do not know the reality of either in use.

Appreciate your thoughts.