Test drive towing?

/ Test drive towing? #11  
Back in 2019 we took a "not ours yet" ranger for a test dive at our local dealership. We went home and grabbed a trailer, drove around and over some hills with it, then took it home and dropped it off. Still driving that silly truck today and love its towing capacity. No we didn't ask them. :LOL:
rangertows0911.jpg

/ Test drive towing? #12  
It varies state-by-state. But in Michigan, I pay registration when I get a trailer and it's permanent. So once I buy the trailer and put the plates on it, there is no recurring cost.

The cost of the plates depends on the empty weight of the trailer. 0 - 2,499 lbs is $75, 2,500 - 9,999 lbs. is $200, and 10,000 lbs. and over is $300.

Here:
1800 lbs or less loaded weight, no title, license, or registration needed.
1800lbs to 8,000 lbs, registered as a light trailer, $63 for every 2 years.
8,000 lbs plus, heavy trailer. Permanent plates. However, the tow vehicle must have "T" plates and pays registration based on the total GVWR.
26,000 lbs plus (GVWR), Vehicle falls under DOT requirements. Oregon has a weight-mile tax rather than diesel tax.

/ Test drive towing? #13  
Most of the modern full sized pickups should be able to tow 7,500 lbs.

However, spring sag may be different from vehicle to vehicle. Plus there are new camera features and hitch cam features to look at. Backup assist?

One option is to find a rental that is similar to the vehicle you're looking at, but then it won't be the actual vehicle.

/ Test drive towing? #14  
My wife is a Ford Warranty Administrator, they had problems with people towing with the rentals, backing into ****, tearing up tailgates etc.

So I told her to order hitch lock pins and put the keys on the key that stays at the dealer, then if someone buys it just give them the extra key with a free hitch lock with it.

On the rental form they now have to have them sign off no towing and employees have to sign off the lock is installed and still there when it's turned back in

/ Test drive towing? #15  
A back up camera and a hitch camera would be nice (but may still take some getting used to).

If one is hitching up a trailer solo without any camera assistance, it is mighty easy to get dings in the bumper or license plate.

Oh, I'm pretty sure my RAM pickup bumper is made out of tin foil.