Stubborn Grease Zerks

/ Stubborn Grease Zerks #1  

kneedeep

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3510 & 8560
Got a couple of stubborn grease zerks on my Mahindra 112 FEL that are getting tougher to take grease. Replaced several and they are still difficult. tried loading and unloading the joints with some improvement.

Any tricks to make them take grease short of removing the pins and cleaning??

:confused: :confused3:

/ Stubborn Grease Zerks #2  
They don't make grease zerks like they used to. I had a 1964 Massey that had trouble free zerks. The ones they put on newer equipment these days just don't work as well.

/ Stubborn Grease Zerks #3  
remove pins, clean..takes less time than wrestling with zerk for me...problem arises because I don't grease as often as I should.

/ Stubborn Grease Zerks #4  
Replace the zerks?

/ Stubborn Grease Zerks #5  
when pins are crusted with dry grease, zerk replacement is futile, zerk good but no place for grease to go.

/ Stubborn Grease Zerks #6  
Try removing the zerks and using an oil can, squirt "Kroil" into it, then replace zerk. You may have to repeat several times. Kroil is an excellent penetratant.

/ Stubborn Grease Zerks #7  
remove pins, clean..takes less time than wrestling with zerk for me...problem arises because I don't grease as often as I should.

I'm familiar with zerks, but don't know what a pin is. Please explain.

/ Stubborn Grease Zerks #9  
I'm familiar with zerks, but don't know what a pin is. Please explain.

A pin is the rotation point of your junctions. Almost always silver color because they are bare metal requiring grease. Metal surrounding the pin is called a trunnion. From my experience, pins are removable.....but sometimes not easily.

/ Stubborn Grease Zerks #10  
On my Kubota, the FEL pins are held in with a simple cross bolt. Remove bolt, carefully dive pin out part way and clean inside and out. full removal may require realignment using hydraulics.