Storing Tires

/ Storing Tires #1  

kneedeep

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3510 & 8560
I am soon to be purchasing a set of mounted mud tires for my UTV. I will not need them in the summer as everyplace I will be is dry farm road or improved county road. I plan on storing the mud tires in a dry, dark building and installing them in the fall.
Question- What is the best way to store mounted tires/wheels to last as long as possible??
:confused3:

/ Storing Tires #2  
Buy them when you need them. All tires have a date code and I will never buy a new tire that is more than 6 months old. The clock starts the day they are made and will usually start to fail after 6 years.

For that reason alone I will not transport a trailer or dive a vehicle in my business with tires older than 6 years old.

I have seen two "new" tires fail just sitting with zero miles. Both were trailer tires. One 8 ply and one 10.

Most tire shops around here will not touch a tire over 6 years old.

What does this all mean? Buy fresh tires when its time.

Chris

/ Storing Tires
Chris,
Glad you responded! You seem to have a lot of knowledge about tires and the proper care for them. I am planning on buying new 27" Essex Surefoot on steel rims for my UTV. I plan on storing them in the summer mounted up and re-install in the fall for the mud that will soon be everywhere I want to be!
Should they be stored air up? Use any type of protectant?

Thanks

/ Storing Tires #4  
Have you considered putting the tires on a metal rod supported by stands on the ends? It would be a good idea to store them out of direct sunlight. Just a thought.

/ Storing Tires
Thanks JIGBUILDER, I didn't think to just ASK!!!!

:duh:

/ Storing Tires #7  
Chris,
Glad you responded! You seem to have a lot of knowledge about tires and the proper care for them. I am planning on buying new 27" Essex Surefoot on steel rims for my UTV. I plan on storing them in the summer mounted up and re-install in the fall for the mud that will soon be everywhere I want to be!
Should they be stored air up? Use any type of protectant?

Thanks

Aired up and I like 303 protectant.

Chris

/ Storing Tires #8  
I suggest cryogenic freezing procedure, I hear if you book early enough you might be able to get a crypt near Walt Disney's head. Coat with spray Spam, available at local Army Barracks:eek::D

/ Storing Tires #9  
I was going to suggest the method I use to store good rubber boots between seasons. I'm pleased to see, after skimming the links above, my method is the approved one. Anyway, I always figured it is not only light but air that breaks down the rubber. So I clean and dry them, and store them in a closed/sealed black trash bag. I would do the same for tires. Also note you should not put any 'protectant' on them before storing.

/ Storing Tires #10  
I work for the government and we store just about everything you can think of for all branches of the military. Lots of tires. Attatched is a copy of the storage procedure we have to go by and a lot of our stuff sits in the warehouses for many years before being used. Look at page 5-79 section 5-35 where it begins to dicuss storage of tires. On page 5-80 paragragh 1 it tells you the recommended storage procedures for industrial tires.

Well I tried to attach the whole manual, but the files size is too big (15MB). So I'll try and see if it lets me attach them this way.

storage1.jpgstorage2.jpgstorage3.jpgstorage4.jpg