Steering leak in 5500

/ Steering leak in 5500 #1  

kneedeep

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3510 & 8560
The 5500 4WD started leaking fluid from the top of the steering column. It continued to leak until the fluid level got low, but not too low. If I fill it to full, it will pump it out of the top of the steering column. There is a bushing in the top of the column but I cant get a part # for just it. When I pull the steering wheel off, I want to be able to repair and get back to working.

Anyone have a repair manual that shows the top of the steering column and part #?

TIA

Rod

/ Steering leak in 5500 #2  
Replacing bushing will not help leak. The steering orbital motor is leaking. You can send to a hydraulic shop and they can reseal.

/ Steering leak in 5500 #3  
^ yup you will need to rebuild the HSU unit located at the bottom of the steering shaft. Take off the hyd. lines and then 4 bolts at the top of the unit.. make sure your holding it when you get it undone because its a bit heavy and will drop

/ Steering leak in 5500 #5  
You can get it from any Mahindra dealer. Or if you want to chance it just take the HSU to a Hyd. shop and match up the top seal under the shaft. If your lucky all the others are fine. Is about the size of a quarter. Id recommend rebuilding the whole unit through while your taking the time of getting it out.

Running ATF in the system may help also.. that's up to you.

/ Steering leak in 5500
Thanks,
Good advice to rebuild unit if I am taking it out.
How difficult is it as far as taking unit apart and replacing the seals?

Should it be done at a Hyd. Shop or is it a do it yourselfer??

Thinking about buying the service manual as well for any other issues that may come up.

SERVICE MANUAL FOR ALL 5500 MAHINDRA TRACTOR, 2 & 4 WHEEL

/ Steering leak in 5500 #7  
I have a hyd. shop in town that does it for $100 and we take him the kit and unit.

The top seal isn't bad but iv never broken the full unit down.

/ Steering leak in 5500 #9  
Replacing bushing will not help leak. The steering orbital motor is leaking. You can send to a hydraulic shop and they can reseal.
HI: everyone: I also have a 4500 2wd, and last summer my tractor started leaking under the steering wheel, to later find out it was a bad seal in the top of the HSU. I am a do-it-yourselfer, It was a job but I myself removed the HSU, and it was a job getting to the bolts on the fluid lines connected to the HSU, but the biggest problem was find the room/space to get to and untighten the fluid line bolts, space is limit basted on the HSU location. I took my HSU to a HY shop, they replaced to top seal, I again reinstalled the HSU back onto my tractor, doubled checked and doubled checked for any fluid lined leaks. The problem I getting now after reinstalling the HSU is my tractor when driving will not make sharp turns, right or left, I can make wide turns, but not sharp turns. I again researched and found that there may be some air in my power steering lines or HSU since I replaced it. I jacked up my tractor off the front two wheels, refilled up the power steering fluid box, left the cap off the power steering box and I have the tractor running while turning the front wheels back and forward right and left for about 30 mins or more, trying to get the air out. After all this I sat the tractor back down on front wheels, drive around and still it not making sharp turns right or left, but will turn wide. T make a sharp turn I find myself having to turn the steering wheel around and around two times to get the front tires to turn sharper. The front tires turn wide with no problem. Can anyone tell me if this problem is because there is still air in my power steering line, or is this something else, I may did not do when replacing the HSU back on the tractor. There is no leaks, checked, doubled checked. Any advice will be helpful>>>>>>

/ Steering leak in 5500 #10  
I have a hyd. shop in town that does it for $100 and we take him the kit and unit.

The top seal isn't bad but iv never broken the full unit down.
HI: I had my HSU seal replaced, installed it back on my tractor(Mahindra 4500 2WD, and now my tractor will not make sharp turns. Did I not do something, or do something wrong when I reinstalled the HSU?? The steering wheel turns around and around when making a sharp turn. But I can make wide turns. What ca I recheck or redo to solve this problem??????