Splitting my Zetor 6245...again. Need advice.

/ Splitting my Zetor 6245...again. Need advice. #1  

WFOMO

Tractor
Zetor 6245
I wore the clutch out on my 6245 a couple of years ago and split it for the repair. Put it back together (clutch plate, pilot and throwout bearing), worked fine, but long story short, evidently the transmission seal is leaking and it is now full of oil. I can drive it up against a tree with the clutch out and it doesn't even slow the engine.
So...as I go for my second time around, I'm planning on changing the transmission seal AND crank seal. Is there anything else I need to do while in there to prevent a third try?

/ Splitting my Zetor 6245...again. Need advice. #2  
I wore the clutch out on my 6245 a couple of years ago and split it for the repair. Put it back together (clutch plate, pilot and throwout bearing), worked fine, but long story short, evidently the transmission seal is leaking and it is now full of oil. I can drive it up against a tree with the clutch out and it doesn't even slow the engine.
So...as I go for my second time around, I'm planning on changing the transmission seal AND crank seal. Is there anything else I need to do while in there to prevent a third try?
Congrats on splitting the tractor and having it work for you.

Some Eastern European equipment didn't have the best quality seals....yes, that is an understatement & you probably already know that. Just guessing, but how are the master cylinder brake seals???

However, many seals - like bearings - are standard metric dimension. You could look at a Japanese or US seal catalogue to see what else is if offered in that size. I use a Parker Seal & O Ring designer's catalogue when choosing seals. It's a big thick boring book. Also read what McMaster.com has to say.

Not all seal materials have the same resistance to chemicals or the same lip construction. Prices vary a lot. You may want to use a seal technology that would be too expensive for mass production.
There are also some interesting double lip seals available now for direct replacement. You might want to talk to some serious Formula 1 racers or high end hotrodders.

Stick with a known name brand dual purpose Trans/Hydraulic fluid both for seal chemistry compatibility and the additives. I like JD HyTran and NH Ambra Multi G. Others are good; all are expensive.
rScotty

Last edited: