Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,971  
Except there were no Interstate Highways before 1956-57. The bill was signed by "Ike" in 1956. I can remember it taking three full days to get from Texas to Ohio. 4-lane roads were as rare as frog hair. My parents, 2-brothers, one baby sister and I traveled in a 1957 Plymouth station wagon to get to my grandparents. We camped in State Parks mostly. It was hard for any driver to spend more than 8 hours behind a wheel on the roads back then.

I've made that trip many times in the 70s, 80s and 90s. My best time was 24 hours flat. That included stops for food and gas.
That's what I meant in that what became "I-80" in Ca was US-40.

There's historic highway signage along parts of Auburn Blvd and other roads indicating they were old US-40.

My parents and grandparent talked of the amount of time it too to get from the Sacramento area to Reno in the 1940's and 1950's. It took much longer on the twisty 2-lane over the summit than it did in the 1960's when I-80 was completed. They also pointed out cars didn't handle as well, limits of old narrow bias ply tires etc.

The older highways seemed to have more stops too. More rest areas, gas stations, motels. I can see the need, when roads were slower, trips were longer.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,972  
Exactly! Imagine the 2-lane stretches of present US50 to Tahoe without the modern passing lanes, as it was in the 1950's. US40 from Roseville, over Donner Pass, on to Reno, was identical to US50 in design, grades, limited line-of-sight.
Some pix from the Donner Summit Historical Society:

A couple of years later I was up and down US40 weekly, working with a survey crew in Squaw Valley and laying out the pioneer road into what would become Alpine Meadows. As I recall the US40 grade from Donner Lake up to the summit needed to be climbed mostly in second gear and definitely needed a lower gear to descend safely. Real slow if you were behind a truck, either direction. This is what those plows kept open to serve the 1960 Squaw Valley Winter Olympics.

89315278_2812275645532713_2817748221214851072_n.jpg
My Mom and Dad's high school band played at the opening for the Olympics. San Juan High School; they were class of '60 and '61.

They used to talk about truckers up there being challenged buy the hills ad curves; US 40 over the curved bridge and also running the old canyon road from Auburn to Foresthill. Can just imagine driving that road in a 1950's big rig with twin or triple sticks...

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,973  
Here is today's entry seen by a friend in the Twin Cities area leaving a Menards...

Not sure if I should give him points for actually trying any tie downs or not given how sad they are...

View attachment 787044
Meh, as long as they stay under 30 it should be fine...
That should be pretty light and its tied to the roof rack halfway up.

Aaron Z

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,976  
That’s gonna take more than paint to fix that backhoe.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,977  
Wow! The excavator didn’t even get knocked off the trailer. Good tie down procedure. (y) Glad nobody (appeared) got hurt.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,979  
That’s gonna take more than paint to fix that backhoe.
It looked like the trailer took most of the hit and damage. What an awful thing to witness. I wonder if the truck driver is responsible? I’ve seen several vids online of lowboys getting stuck on the tracks. The previous one I had seen, the fellow with the camera called the railroad’s emergency number to report it. I suppose 911 would be nearly as efficient though.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,980  
This happened in our little town a few years ago. It is a private crossing BNSF had just put in and the truck and excavator belonged to them.