Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #20,181  
These appliance failures are generally the result of tightened efficiency requirements and restrictions on materials that can be used (refrigerants). For instance, with the LG fridges of late the compressor has to work very hard due to the energy and refrigerant situation. So if the ventilation isn't great (think dust/pet hair clogging vents under and on back) the compressor overheats and dies.

Stop and think about it for a minute... Years ago a fridge would last for 15, 20, 25 years. Now we have 'efficient' and 'environmentally friendly' models that die after 2-4 years and have to be replaced.
Don't know what some of you guys are doing to kill a refrigerator in 3-4 years, I've typically gotten 10+ years out of one. Had one I bought in the early 80s that lasted a good many years, but man, was it an electricity hog (and relatively noisy).

Agree that the higher efficiency standards aren't helping longevity any. Have to wonder about newer vehicles with the turbo'ed 4s, how they'll stand up over time.

Another factor you didn't mention that likely contributes to shorter lifespans is cost/corner cutting to be able to sell at a certain price point.
As for me, any future appliances I buy like fridge, washer, dryer, etc. are coming from Costco where they can be returned at any time for any reason. Not going to deal with manufacturer warranties and service wait times.
Not an option for me. I think their nearest store is 3+ hours away, and in a state with a sales tax. I noticed that our "local" HD doesn't even carry appliances in stock anymore...just display models. If you want one it'll get delivered from a warehouse. Don't know if it's just certain stores or if it's a company-wide policy. Lowe's still does carry stock.
My wife used to buy "better" grades of refrigerators and freezers that usually cost way more than the lowest end items. They would quit or have a problem after maybe 5 years.

When I started to look at things more closely, I came away with the belief the lowest and highest end refrig were not much different on the internals but rather on the bells and whistles.

So, when our last fancy refrigerator quit, we bought a $600 basic GE that was on sale for $100 less. Three years later, the wife says it cools better and freezes better and not functionally different from one for 3X more.

The lower end stuff is built simple, seemingly better able to take a punch and may use the same internals. It seems less finicky and surprise, this last GE was built in the USA? Is this even possible?
We usually do the same. I have no need for an ice dispenser or internet connectivity. OTOH, I'll also steer away from the lowest end ones, figuring that corners have been cut there. Couple steps above that seems to be the sweet spot.

This seems to be true for 'most everything these days, from electronics to vehicles...the higher end models aren't really any better quality, just more gadgetry (ie-one more thing to break).

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #20,182  
A couple of years ago I bought a fridge, a plane jane Amana. I hope it lasts.

I bought a 4.5 cu ft Avanti chest freezer in 1985, it still works great, but getting long in the tooth. Looking to buy a small upright soon.

Have one of those real old rounded top fridges in the cow barn that works great. Brother uses it to cool down deer/bear meat sometimes.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #20,183  
Don't know what some of you guys are doing to kill a refrigerator in 3-4 years, I've typically gotten 10+ years out of one. Had one I bought in the early 80s that lasted a good many years, but man, was it an electricity hog (and relatively noisy).
Just to be clear, the refrigerators my parents purchased in 1953 and in 1981 are both still running, as is one I have from the 1990’s. It’s only the refrigerators built in the last 6 years that seem to fail after 2 years. I’ve been through three new refrigerators in the last 5 years, while the old ones just keep ticking. We have a large house, so we typically keep 6 running, between garage overflow, main kitchen, butler’s kitchen, and kitchenette in our fourth floor suite.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #20,184  
Just to be clear, the refrigerators my parents purchased in 1953 and in 1981 are both still running, as is one I have from the 1990’s. It’s only the refrigerators built in the last 6 years that seem to fail after 2 years. I’ve been through three new refrigerators in the last 5 years, while the old ones just keep ticking. We have a large house, so we typically keep 6 running, between garage overflow, main kitchen, butler’s kitchen, and kitchenette in our fourth floor suite.
Well that gives me hope. I can't wait for my 1 year old beer fridg to blow up. I haven't had a cold beer since I bought it last summer.

I think that is because it is a frost free model.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #20,185  
Replaced my noisy 1988 refrigerator in 2000 with a quiet and efficient (for the time) unit, and am hesitant to tempt Murphy by posting here that it is still in use.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #20,186  
Replaced my noisy 1988 refrigerator in 2000 with a quiet and efficient (for the time) unit, and am hesitant to tempt Murphy by posting here that it is still in use.
You must be referring to ‘Murphy’s Law’? I can’t stand that one. I much prefer ‘Coles Law’. It’s made with cabbage. ;)

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #20,187  
Groan m.jpg

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #20,188  
You must be referring to ‘Murphy’s Law’? I can’t stand that one. I much prefer ‘Coles Law’. It’s made with cabbage. ;)
Awesome

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #20,189  
Bought a plain Jane GE fridge in 1995, and it's still humming along.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #20,190  
Zowie!