Septic tank and leach field

/ Septic tank and leach field #1  

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
Looking at having one deck removed, 3 new decks built, some cement laid and some trees cut down behind the house.

One thing we need to address because we never had to in the past is exactly where is the septic tank and leach field.

House built in 1988. There is a second leach field further away from the house after the first one didn't hold up.

I communicated with the previous owner, and have a decent idea of where the septic tank is, first and second leach field, but honestly would like to know the EXACT locations as well as the underground water pipes. Couple of years ago, had a leak of water from under the basement deck, turned out to be the water connection from the well coming into the house and that became a PITA job because of the deck (parts had to be ripped up as the leak was in the pipe connection).

2 questions

1 - What services are out there to find underground water pipes, septic tank, and is it possible to determine exactly where the leach fields are?
2 - Once (and if) we determine exact location of everything we're looking for, what kind of maximum weight should not be exceeded if heavy equipment is out back?

The second leach field was installed in 1998. From the county I was able to get a "rough" diagram on where things we're at, but the drawing is limited in my opinion per scale and relationship to the deck. We actually have 4 different decks, and the lower one about 30 yards (with steps) will be removed and I'd like the ground graded a little (on a slope) when that deck is removed. Also a good possibility the first leach field is under the stairs of the deck leading to the bottom deck that is being removed (understanding septic tank is under the first step off the basement).

Any input would be appreciated from past experiences.

/ Septic tank and leach field #2  
Good Mourning Here we have to pump out our tanks about every 3 years, some sooner. On mine it was obvious because the tops were made out of a round piece of concrete. I take it down south that it not so. My health department had a map of our leach bed. Good hunting.

/ Septic tank and leach field
Good Mourning Here we have to pump out our tanks about every 3 years, some sooner. On mine it was obvious because the tops were made out of a round piece of concrete. I take it down south that it not so. My health department had a map of our leach bed. Good hunting.
The only thing our county health department had was when they had to do the repair in 1998. As mentioned, hand drawn, not very detailed to scale, and the house and deck isn't even noted for scale.

/ Septic tank and leach field #4  
Why the interest in finding the leach field? Most just get abandoned in place.

The tank is a different story. In our county, it has to be destroyed or removed. And inspected that it was indeed done.

Finding it, and the attached leach field was a follow the pipes adventure for us. There was no record on general location. Crawling under the house revealed two sewer pipes. Both at different times (don't ask).
Once the pipe was located we dug outside the house and followed it to the tank. Then we noted the overflow pipe to the leach field. Followed that to the distribution box, followed that to the lines.

I'd say people that install them could probably help you find your equipment faster than you can dig. Or at least provide a more specific location than what you may have on record or are thinking.

Good luck.

/ Septic tank and leach field #5  
When I was working as a land surveyor we occasionally had reasons to get utilities located on private property, in one case a big area. In most cases they can hook onto the utility, such as a phone wire, and locate it fairly accurately. In the case of your septic tank they may be able to locate it easily if it’s reinforced concrete. Plastic pipes are tougher but they do have devices like ground penetrating radar.

/ Septic tank and leach field
Plastic pipes are tougher but they do have devices like ground penetrating radar.
THAT'S the type of company I'm referring to. Looking online, somewhat confusing but will put more time into it.

I don't want to put cement over something that may need to be accessed down the road. Dealing with a wood deck was interesting enough dealing with a pipe connection leak when the connection was directly under the deck (basement first deck, on ground).

I figure in for a penny, in for a dollar and now is the time to lay everything out correctly, particularly if we might sell 5-10 years from now.

/ Septic tank and leach field #7  
Locating the tank should be fairly easy. Once you know where the tank is it should be obvious which direction the leach field are. I think you could get access to the line and then run a metal sewer tape down the line. Using a metal detector you should be able to map out the exact location. Sound easy when you say it fast.

Doug in SW IA

/ Septic tank and leach field #8  
When I worked for the Health Dept - we located the septic tank and beginning of the drain field by triangulation off the corners of the house. The final approval included a diagram showing house - septic tank - drain field. Exact scale was not important - we showed the EXACT footage. I'm surprised that your local Health Dept doesn't have something like this.

/ Septic tank and leach field #9  
There are cameras that go down drainpipes. The camera can be located by handheld sensor. This will trace drain to septic tank. Many plumbers have these cameras.
How are you emptying tank of solids

/ Septic tank and leach field #10  
When I worked for the Health Dept - we located the septic tank and beginning of the drain field by triangulation off the corners of the house. The final approval included a diagram showing house - septic tank - drain field. Exact scale was not important - we showed the EXACT footage. I'm surprised that your local Health Dept doesn't have something like this.

Yeah, maybe now-a-days.

Here, last we can tell, there was outhouse services until the 50's. At which time Billy and Bob decided to dig a tank and install some drain lines behind the chicken coup.

Heck, my county cannot even get plats right between surveys. Mapping out utilities, especially septic systems is a stretch.

Having just installed a new system about a year ago, I'd say the next home owner here should pay me homage for what we dealt with.