Replacing regular with GFCI. - Solved Thanks All

/ Replacing regular with GFCI. - Solved Thanks All #1  

Torvy

Tractor
TYM T574H
I have two electric outlets near our Master Bathroom sinks. No power from either one, so I was going to replace them. Yes, I checked the breakers. :)

I've done this before with regular outlets. I think those by the sinks should be upgraded to GFCI.

Is this something I should be able to do without too much trouble or do I need an electrician? Any advice on how-to is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

/ Replacing regular with GFCI. - Solved Thanks All #2  
I have two electric outlets near our Master Bathroom sinks. No power from either one, so I was going to replace them. Yes, I checked the breakers. :)

I've done this before with regular outlets. I think those by the sinks should be upgraded to GFCI.

Is this something I should be able to do without too much trouble or do I need an electrician? Any advice on how-to is welcome.

Thanks in advance.
The outlets are a direct swap over, no electrician needed. But the GFI unit will control other outlets down wire on the same circuit. So if the receptacle is tripped, the others will shut off too. There should be no need for multiple GFI receptacles on the same circuit.

/ Replacing regular with GFCI. - Solved Thanks All #3  
If you've switched out a regular outlet before safely, then yep.

/ Replacing regular with GFCI. - Solved Thanks All #4  
The outlets are a direct swap over, no electrician needed. But the GFI unit will control other outlets down wire on the same circuit. So if the receptacle is tripped, the others will shut off too. There should be no need for multiple GFI receptacles on the same circuit.
It'll only control other outlets down the line if you connect them on the load side terminals of the GFCI.

If you just use pigtails and connect everything to the line side, it won't control anything but that one outlet.

/ Replacing regular with GFCI. - Solved Thanks All #5  
It'll only control other outlets down the line if you connect them on the load side terminals of the GFCI.

If you just use pigtails and connect everything to the line side, it won't control anything but that one outlet.
You are correct. Thanks for adding this information that I didn’t explain.

/ Replacing regular with GFCI. - Solved Thanks All #6  
Another thing to think / find out is if they are already controlled by a GFCI somewhere else..... like another bathroom or the kitchen. If the house is older, then probably not likely.
You can 'feed' up to 6 other outlets from one GFCI (it might be 4 allowed). Most newer houses are wired this way. Our house had a GFCI in the master bath that protected 2 outdoor outlets and 2 outlets in the laundry room. The other GFCI in the 2nd hall bath protected the 3rd bathroom and 2 outdoor outlets in the front of the house.

You said you had "no power" at the outlets.... have you checked to see if another GFCI somewhere else is tripped? Might be a simple fix!

/ Replacing regular with GFCI. - Solved Thanks All #7  
Another thing to think / find out is if they are already controlled by a GFCI somewhere else..... like another bathroom or the kitchen. If the house is older, then probably not likely.
You can 'feed' up to 6 other outlets from one GFCI (it might be 4 allowed). Most newer houses are wired this way. Our house had a GFCI in the master bath that protected 2 outdoor outlets and 2 outlets in the laundry room. The other GFCI in the 2nd hall bath protected the 3rd bathroom and 2 outdoor outlets in the front of the house.

You said you had "no power" at the outlets.... have you checked to see if another GFCI somewhere else is tripped? Might be a simple fix!
This is an excellent post.

If the OP has two outlets near sinks, and both have no power, there is a very good chance that there is a GFCI outlet or breaker upstream already protecting them that might be tripped.

OP, have you checked for that scenario yet?

/ Replacing regular with GFCI. - Solved Thanks All #8  
My mother in-law has this happen in her garage quite often. All of the garage outlets go dead and they can't figure out why. I show them the GFCI outlet that they stack firewood against and trip the test button, suggest they not to pile stuff in front of that outlet, show them how to reset it, they nod and say thanks and it happens again next year. ;)

/ Replacing regular with GFCI. - Solved Thanks All #9  
A GFCI is no more difficult than wiring a regular outlet. But you have the option to wire it to only protect itself or protect everything downstream. Unless your other downstream outlets need protection I recommend not wiring them that way to prevent nuisance tripping. Despite what electric code might say I recommend not putting refrigerators on arc faults or ground faults for the same reason.

/ Replacing regular with GFCI. - Solved Thanks All
Thanks guys. I did think it odd that they both went out. Those house is about 25, so not brand new, but not 'old' either. During day light, I will check...it may be the exterior plug...I hope it is not the garage, because the freezer is on that circuit.