Recomendations on this welder

/ Recomendations on this welder #1  

kneedeep

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3510 & 8560
Northern Tool has this unit on sale

Northern Industrial Welders Flux Core 125 115V Flux Cored Welder — 125 Amp Output | Wirefeed Welders| Northern Tool + Equipment

I need a small welder for 1/4" or less material. Mostly a repair or small fabrication around the farm. I have a ancient Lincoln with the big adjustment wheel here at home. I would like to be able to run this off a generator in the back of my UTV to make it more portable,

Could some of you guys that know about welding advise me on this unit or perhaps another one.

Thanks for any help

/ Recomendations on this welder #2  
Personally I think it is a $150.00 door stop.

/ Recomendations on this welder
Wishfull thinking I guess-

I don't need a big fabrication quality machine, just something to do basic minor repairs and light fab work. I like to make yard art out of old scrap farm parts like bottle trees and flowers out of old disc blades [wifey really likes me when I make flowers]

Any recommendations for a good inexpensive machine?? [not cheap, inexpensive]

/ Recomendations on this welder #4  
I would look at a good stick welder. Hey I'm all about flux core, I've run tons of it, but with 400-amp machines. I read stories all the time about these little wire feeders, there is so much to go wrong with them, from the drive roll system to the liner in the gun. If you go cheap with a wire feeder with in hours if not minutes you'll want to pull your hair out. You're gonna have to up you budget!

/ Recomendations on this welder #5  
well, i have a Lincoln 120v wire feed that gets alot of use, and has so foir over 8 years. Cost me about $280-300 at Home Depot. Worth every penny.

As for northern equipment welders.....i personally wouldnt waste my $$ on their crap. At least Lincoln has a name to stand behind.

Now qas for working 1/4' stock, i like my wire feed unit better than a 120v mig. Better penetration on the thicker metals. Ive personally havnt had much luck with a 120v mig on 1/4" plate.

Also the lincoln unit accepts shielding gas unit, the northern unit doesnt.

/ Recomendations on this welder #7  
Ive personally havnt had much luck with a 120v mig on 1/4" plate.
I got to run one of those once. Years ago my x neighbor had a little Hobart 120-volt Mig welder. He was building some stake pockets for his flatbed trailer. He could not get it to run hot enough. So he came and got me. I think he was trying to do corner welds on 12-GA, but it might have been thicker. Only way I could get it to work half way right was to hold a longer than normal stick out:confused3:. That showed me right there I'll never own one. To me it's a lot easier to turn a machine down, than try to get it to work past it's capacity.

/ Recomendations on this welder #8  
   / Recomendations on this welder #10  
I got to run one of those once. Years ago my x neighbor had a little Hobart 120-volt Mig welder. He was building some stake pockets for his flatbed trailer. He could not get it to run hot enough. So he came and got me. I think he was trying to do corner welds on 12-GA, but it might have been thicker. Only way I could get it to work half way right was to hold a longer than normal stick out:confused3:. That showed me right there I'll never own one. To me it's a lot easier to turn a machine down, than try to get it to work past it's capacity.
yup yup yup. I have this machine for one reason and one reason only..... i have to repair alot of horse panels on my place, and the 120v wire feed unit does a great job at that.....with available 120 outlets. The horse panels are too thin to weld with stick unit. Wire feed does an excellent job.

Im in the market for a 220 volt hobart wire feed unit...but its still a ways down on my need to buy list. when ive saves enough cash....its all mine.