Rear Blade Modificatiion

/ Rear Blade Modificatiion #1  

vtrick

Tractor
4300 John Deere 2000 Model
After reading all the information relating to snow removal with rear mounted blades, I ran across a potential solution to fit my problem. I have a fairly long paved drive to maintain (clear snow and pull ditches), however the pavement is in poor condition. I was concerned that the cutting edge of the blade would rip up the drive. One of the post suggested replacing the cutting edge with a hard strip of plastic such as manalloy. I found a piece of scrap at work and cut to fit. We use this stuff to protect metal surfaces from abrasion in our vibrating screens and it does an excellent job. Well after a couple of uses, I am very satisfied with the performance. Snow peels up easily and not the road surface. Thanks for the idea.

Attachments

• 37-28479-blade2.BMP
    74.3 KB · Views: 495
   / Rear Blade Modificatiion #2  
Does the new bit make less noise?
Will this stuff wear quicker than a steel bit?

/ Rear Blade Modificatiion #3  
Nice job I've been looking into getting a polyurethane edge for my backblade but ever since I starting looking into getting one we havn't got a flake of snow.

That edge should work well for you as well as being a buffer if you do hit something hard. Whereas with a metal edge you know how much give there is there---none.
Gordon

/ Rear Blade Modificatiion
DDT,
Yes, the noise generated from the blade action on asphalt was quiet noisy. With the plastic, I can hardly hear the scraping (I guess the neighbors appreciate that). I figure that I got over 4000 feet of plowing with the new cutting edge. After inspection, there was a small amount of wear on the plastic. I believe it should be good for another 40000 to 50000 feet before replacing. thanks