Real snow tires versus all-season

/ Real snow tires versus all-season #1  

Trev

Platinum Member
Tractor
Currently tractor-less
I hope this isn't too far off-topic, but I know lots of you have rear wheel drive vehicles.. and I don't know a better place to get advice.

I'm getting a RWD car on Tuesday, and I have a bit of a dilemma. Really, to deal with Rochester, NY type weather, I'm sure I would be best off with snow tires for winter. But what happens if I take a drive down to Florida? Those snow tires would be toast before I got home.. especially if I drove around at 90+ degrees in Florida for a while.

Do any of you guys who drive RWD cars or trucks use any type of all-season tire that you recommend?

Thanks,
Bob

/ Real snow tires versus all-season #2  
Bob,
Our weather here in Ohio is a lot different than Rochester, all you can buy is all season here. No one knows what a snow tire is anymore.
On my truck I use an aggressive tread t help me in the snow.
Both my vehicles are RWD.

/ Real snow tires versus all-season
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( On my truck I use an aggressive tread t help me in the snow. )</font>

Might I ask what brand and model of tire works best for you?

Thanks,
Bob

/ Real snow tires versus all-season #4  
Trev,

You might consider buying two rims and snow tires just for your winter driving at home and if you decide to make a run to Florida have a shop put your regular tires back on for the trip. I know it is more hassle and expense than running one type of tire but you would have the best traction for your winter conditions. They have snow tires now made with soft stud tread fibers that bite like metal studs yet are quiet and do not harm the road. Now days they recommend two snow tires on the back of RWD autos and four snow tires on the FWD autos. The reason for the snow tires on the back of a FWD is to keep the rear end from sliding around on a turn. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Real snow tires versus all-season #5  
cpicton had a good idea. Many of us here in Vermont do just that. Best place to find cheap rims in good condition is a tire store near a college campus. The youngsters buy fancy wheels and the store is left with take off rims they sell cheaply. I got a set of four for my old Honda for $40. With the cost of mounting and balancing these days, the first time I changed from winter to summer tires those rims paid for themselves.

Pete

/ Real snow tires versus all-season #6  
Trev, they ain't made the tire yet that YOU need. You get the JD stuck in 4 wheel drive.
If I can get in and out of your place with 2 year old all seasons, you can too. Put some weight in the trunk.

/ Real snow tires versus all-season #7  
I prefer BF Goodrich All Terrain for my Tahoe but I doubt they'd work for your car. I would recommend some type of All Season tire for your car. Knowing a little about tires from having worked in a tire manufacturing facility years ago I can make one suggestion to you. Try to find some "take-offs" and buy those. You'll get a very high quality tire at a good price. The only trade off is these might have 2-20 miles on them.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I hope this helps. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ...and if you decide to make a run to Florida have a shop put your regular tires back on for the trip. )</font>

Yeah, that's probably the best plan. I can just switch them myself. Then drive really fast and hope it doesn't snow until I'm out of the snow belt. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Thanks.. good idea.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Trev, they ain't made the tire yet that YOU need. You get the JD stuck in 4 wheel drive. )</font>

Aw jeez, Franz.. you weren't supposed to tell anybody how I had to get my farmer neighbor to pull my JD out of the ditch! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Try to find some "take-offs" and buy those. You'll get a very high quality tire at a
good price. The only trade off is these might have 2-20 miles on them. )</font>

Is that from people who buy a new car, and then drive right to the tire store to get the tires they want? Sounds like a great deal! Thanks...

/ Real snow tires versus all-season #9  
<font color="blue"> Now days they recommend two snow tires on the back of RWD autos and four snow tires on the FWD autos. The reason for the snow tires on the back of a FWD is to keep the rear end from sliding around on a turn.</font>

Craig, I beg to differ (slightly). Personally I think 4 snows is the way to go on a Rear, front, 4, or all wheel drive vehicle. Stopping and Turning are just as, if not more, important than forward progress in the snow.

Trev, follow other's advice, get the snows mounted on a second set of rims. If I'm remembering correctly you got yourself an aircompressor not too long ago. With an impact wrench (off only) and a good floor jack, you can swap them out in <30 minutes. Be sure to pick up a torque wrench so that you can properly tighten the lug nuts.

If you are having trouble finding rims at a reasonable price locally, check out TireRack. They sell snow tire packages complete mounted on the rims delivered to your door.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Personally I think 4 snows is the way to go on a Rear, front, 4, or all wheel drive vehicle. Stopping and Turning are just as, if not more, important than forward progress in the snow.

Trev, follow other's advice, get the snows mounted on a second set of rims. If I'm remembering correctly you got yourself an aircompressor not too long ago. With an impact wrench (off only) and a good floor jack, you can swap them out in <30 minutes. Be sure to pick up a torque wrench so that you can properly tighten the lug nuts. )</font>

Thanks, Hazmat. Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about having them on all four. And all the snowtires I've browsed at tirerack specify using four of them for safety reasons.

Yep, all equipped with jack, impact wrench, torque wrench, etc. I already do exactly what you suggested on my wife's car.. I guess I was hoping to avoid having to do two cars every Spring and Summer.. getting older and lazier by the year. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif The part I hate is having to guess when to switch them each season.. I always guess wrong and we have a freak snowstorm in April or a freak hot spell in December.

Thanks...