quick & fun steel target (standing)

/ quick & fun steel target (standing) #21  
Yep rifle rounds and steel are always kinda ''iffy". You need long range and good steel, and make sure someone didn't bring some SS109 steel core something with them even in .223. I have never shot any high powered rifles at steel, but you can bet if I did, I would be a long ways away.. I have shot 10's of thousand of pistol bullets at steel, With no consequences. A large percentage were copper jacket FMJ ammo.. One thing we always did on Pepper poppers and 8 inch plates was turn them around just as soon as you notice any deformation or cupping of the targets. And they will do it, no matter how good the steel is. It is just a matter of time. You cannot hammer on a piece of steel and not expect it to deform eventually.. So we would turn them around and hammer on them the other way for a while.. Ideally the steel is as flat as possible. The bullet makes an even circle of particles as it "melts" on the surface of the target. Really bad targets that are cupped severely will start sending them back at you for your "inspection" more often than not...NOT a good thing

James K0UA

/ quick & fun steel target (standing) #22  
And the only alternative I saw was hanging targets using chain but I would think the bullet from a .308 would cut the chain before it deflected it.

The last two targets in post #2 are rifle and held on with grade 8 bolts, on the last one they are also impossible to be hit by a bullet also.

/ quick & fun steel target (standing) #23  
Well I ordered some pre cut 500 targets in 3/8 I will use grade 8 bolts for sure. now I just need to experiment with rebar like spiker or hanging chains. Chains may be a pain as the target goes every place after a large cal hit.

/ quick & fun steel target (standing) #25  
Well I ordered some pre cut 500 targets in 3/8 I will use grade 8 bolts for sure. now I just need to experiment with rebar like spiker or hanging chains. Chains may be a pain as the target goes every place after a large cal hit.

Use two short lengths of chain, angled away from the target center. The targets will still go crazy, but will return to their starting place. I just use dog chain, like someone said, a rifle will cut most any chain, so I used the cheapest I have. It doesn't take long to replace a broken piece.
By the way, you're supposed to be hitting the target, not the chains! I had to put that in, just couldn't help myself.

/ quick & fun steel target (standing)
Use two short lengths of chain, angled away from the target center. The targets will still go crazy, but will return to their starting place. I just use dog chain, like someone said, a rifle will cut most any chain, so I used the cheapest I have. It doesn't take long to replace a broken piece.
By the way, you're supposed to be hitting the target, not the chains! I had to put that in, just couldn't help myself.

With Chain they also do not divert the hunks of flying lead in any particular direction, I would not use it as if you hit the target on the top edge the inertia of the target/round will deflect the spot hit causing the remainder of the round to ricochet off into which ever direction it wants.

With the Solid Rebar the target spins backwards and the round is deflected primarily down & to the back, if it remains intact most time the weight. When you weld to the pipe nipple off center the target hangs with a slight angle towards the ground. see attached PDF drawing I made real quick of what I mean.

took a bit of drawing fun & this laptop is poor 3 year old for NEW Student CAD version I used.

targetdrawing-Model_zps8b72c9a5.jpg

shows how I made mine & how it will hang slightly tilted backwards as the weight being off centered on the axle rebar part. The drawing shows the target welded all way down reinforcing the center of the target with the thickness of the rebar, on my 1st ones they are only welded to the top edge. replacements will have the full reinforcing to help prevent cupping of the target with higher cap rounds. note after few hundred rounds of 22LR no distortion has been noticed. Might fire some 9mm & 40cal this weekend.

Mark

/ quick & fun steel target (standing) #27  
Old water hose with the breaded over wrap like fire hose also takes a lot of hits from misses if bolted to the back of steel plate in a loop. It naturally angles the steel down as well.

/ quick & fun steel target (standing) #28  
Steelman 600y 30 FBI.JPGIf you shoot the target from a sufficient distance, the particles flying back stop being a real concern.

The spots where paint is distrubed where from a .308 Win with 175 Matchkings at 2,640 FPS (basically M852LR). The dents are from a .30 FBI shooting 215gr Berger hybrids at 2,750 fps. All shooting done at 600 yards. Target is scrap mild steel, 1/2" The "noggin" is 6" wide x 8' tall. Verticl is 3 1/2" pipe wit a piece of angle welded on the front. It is welded to an old truck rim with tire still attached. This works as a good short range pistol target. But, you need to make sure you fill the dents and grind flat. Or, have multiple targets made.

/ quick & fun steel target (standing) #29  
here is a pistol target setup i recently built for 45 auto and 9mm:

227687_803407134999_1859856978_n.jpg

541029_803684174809_778383645_n.jpg

148515_803684209739_1653489268_n.jpg

/ quick & fun steel target (standing) #30  
I built targets to the two on the ends years ago, when the top one rocks back, ricochets over any berm are quite likely.