Pothole theory

/ Pothole theory #1  

jmc

Elite Member
Tractor
Ford 1920 4x4 (traded in on Kubota). Case 480F TLB w/4 in 1 bucket, 4x4. Gehl CTL60 tracked loader, Kubota L4330 GST
I read somewhere, probably on TBN, that before filling a pothole in a gravel driveway, you should scratch up the bottom of it. I hate to disturb the larger gravel in my base and it's more work. Any thoughts?

/ Pothole theory #2  
If you think about the concept of why a pothole started in the first place it would only make sense as loose rock would eventually push out a firmly packed driveway pothole. With that said and the part you didn't want to disturb the base, sounds like only course of correction is to add more rock on top another layer and pack it down. Never can have too much rock... What are you using river rock or rock with jagged edges?

/ Pothole theory #3  
What works for me is that I don't blow out the bottom of the hole; instead, I cut out the side of the pothole to give the trapped water a way to exit to the road's edge and not just sit there in the hole. I would not break up the road base. I also pile a bit more extra gravel to mound it up a bit, too.

/ Pothole theory #4  
I have potholes most every year. Same dam area. I've never got down to the base rock/stone in any of the potholes. Just scratch enough so what is there bonds with what I add.

Next year a couple new ones - same general area - new specific location.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / Pothole theory #5  
I filled my potholes with wet river sand. Over-fill the hole.

The wet sand is already saturated and settles nicely, displacing the accumulated moisture causing the pothole.

/ Pothole theory #6  
The guy that did my long gravel road said....mix in a 1/2 bag of concrete as you refill the hole.

Never tried it bu he swore by it.

/ Pothole theory #7  
What works best for me is to use 411 limestone (1" down to dust). I fill with 411, best if it's damp or wet, and create a slight mound. I've even filled holes that are full of water and had great success. Tamp it in place and the pot hole is gone for good. It sets up hard and stays compacted so it keeps water out.

/ Pothole theory #8  
All I do rough up the spot add new pack it real good.

/ Pothole theory #9  
It really matters WHAT you fill the hole with. If it doesn't have "fines" to pack and keep the water out... you are wasting your time.

/ Pothole theory #10  
And this is why I never put fines onto my 1000' gravel driveway. Zero potholes, ever. Yes, my loose stone rolls around some, and I do re-grade the whole thing a few times a year (10-15 mins of work to freshen it all up). But I cannot stand pot holes and puddles. Let the water drain!