Pole Saws

/ Pole Saws #21  
I'm getting ready to tackle tree overhang surrounding 3 large pastures. Conservatively speaking, I will be cutting hundreds of limbs from 1" to over 6". I hope to regain multiple acres of hay by allowing better access to the perimeters when cutting/baling.

This may be a 2 year project, as I hate to have all my fun at one time.

What is the best, most powerful, most user friendly, most reliable and maybe even affordable gas powered pole saw?

Stihl/Professional is the best. High quality saws, HIGH QUALITY SERVICE DEDICATED TO STIHL.

Forget a gas pole saw, this is a big job.

Rent a Cherry Picker or a Scissors Lift, buy a (regular) Stihl MS261 and ravage those trees.

Lifts with power only to the lift, not to the wheels, which you can tow with your tractor, are not expensive.

LINK:

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/professional-saws/ms261/

Last edited:
   / Pole Saws #22  
I use a combination of methods described by others. Never have bought a gas pole saw, but have a cheap Remintgon electric and a manual. I throw my generator in the carryall, hang the trailer on the back of that, put an 8 foot stepladder in the trailer. One day, I would like to have a gas pole saw, but for now, this works. IMG_3983.jpg

Last edited:
   / Pole Saws #23  
To me, using a stick pole saw is like using a shovel instead of my tractor. Not gonna happen.

When I need a power tool, the first thing I do is see if Ryobi has one. If they do, they are always much cheaper than most name brands. My reasoning is that if the cheaper Ryobi breaks, does not do the job or has shortcomings I don't like, I can always go out and buy the more expensive brands, like Stihl, Echo, DeWalt, Hilte, etc. and not be out a lot of money from the first purchase. I have the same philosophy for Harbor Freight (for some things). This way I'll have money left over for beer (or rum).

I bought the Ryobi pole saw (gas) for one heckofalot less money than a Stihl, to see if it worked, and for how long. That was over 10 years ago and it still works like new and I do use it a lot, cutting overhanging limbs from oak trees on a mile of dirt road. Sometimes the shaft has been caught and bent. Sometimes the whole saw gets grabbed from my hands and falls with the limb. I just bend it back, waiting for the final break. Still waiting, still saving money.