Orec tracked flail vs Grillo wheeled flail vs ride on

/ Orec tracked flail vs Grillo wheeled flail vs ride on
I have used goats to clear areas of kudzu on the farm before. The drawback is there would be a lot of labor installing a good goat fence on this hillside. This hillside isn't kuduz infested, but it grew up in thorns and saplings due to not being mowed periodically.

Attachments

• mulched hillside slope pic.jpg
    mulched hillside slope pic.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 167

This other hillside is infested with kudzu. Goats would actually be the better long term option for clearing the kudzu off because they eat it down to the point that they actually kill it where mowing doesn't actually do that. Or I can mow/spray it and the spray will kill the kudzu.

Attachments

• nibble.jpg
    nibble.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 49

The last time I fenced for goats, I ran several strands of electric wire and that worked so long as I kept the charger battery charged and kept weeds off the wire. Standard field fence would be more secure, but 330' of standard field fence weighs 192 lbs where goat fence with the smaller openings weights 261 lbs which feels noticeably heavier to handle to me.

What is new to me is the temporary goat fencing made from electrified mesh and lightweight step in posts. I haven't used them myself. They are something I have on my list to learn more about before making a decision on what to do next.

/ Orec tracked flail vs Grillo wheeled flail vs ride on #132  
Hi again 2manyrocks ;)

Spending a large 5-digit sum of money to keep the weeds off this one hillside only, is indeed hard to justify - and on top you have to do the work yourself! :unsure:

On my 6200 m² (around 1.5 acre) meadow, I have tried a few different solutions over the years. I usually mow twice a year with my BCS 740 2-wheel tractor and my Zanon drum mower, but have also done it once with a sickle bar mower instead. Then I rake the grass into swaths by hand, and finally I gather the grass and leave it on a handful of heaps at the edge of the plot to decompose. The mowing is the easy part, but as I don’t get younger, the rest is getting harder and harder :cry:

I have no experience with goats, but 2 month ago I had 80-85 sheep „shaving“ my meadow as a test. A professional shepherd in my area brought his animals to me for 5 days. As I have no fence around my meadow, he put up a temporary fence of the sort that you describe:

1704648237219.jpeg

I have no experience with this sort of fencing, but as the shepherd constantly travel this area with his herd, and often stays only a day or two on each plot, he has to be able to put it up and down very quickly. The sheep had a lot of respect for the fence and always kept a safe distance.

This might be a possibility also in your area, and like with your contractor with the mulcher, you don’t have to invest in anything, and an experienced person will even do the job for you.

Best regards

Jens

/ Orec tracked flail vs Grillo wheeled flail vs ride on
I haven't used it, but have read that is the style of temporary electrified shock mesh fencing that is the easiest to install for goat containment.

Another idea I've considered is using a winch to lower and raise a towable ATV style mower up and down the hillside, but the hillside terrain varies so much that steering control would be needed. I think this would also be time consuming even if I figured out how to add remote control steering to a towable ATV mower. Or perhaps there is a way to add a guide cable to keep the mower mowing on a certain path?

The larger robotic self propelled Spider mower is advertised for roughly the same almost $40,000 price in the USA as the Power Trac PT1445.

Last edited: