Opinion: Bad Boy Maverick ZTR

/ Opinion: Bad Boy Maverick ZTR #1  

pigdoc

Tractor
JD 2025R, Kubota ZD28
I've had a Kubota ZD28 since 2004, and it's done well. But now several problems are popping up (electrical system, bad sensors) and I don't need the 72" cut anymore as I've moved to a smaller place, just 2 acres of lawn. I'm thinking of selling the ZD28 (its still worth good money) and getting a newer smaller ZTR, looking at the Bad Boy Maverick 60" cut. Any real life experiences would be appreciated? TIA.
Pigdoc

/ Opinion: Bad Boy Maverick ZTR #2  
Once you have have had a diesel Zero turn with its higher torque its hard to go back to gas. I had a ZD 1800 with a 54" deck for over 13 years and trade it for a ZD1211 with a 60" deck last year. Could not be happier with the newer deck raising and lowering system and the much improved seat. Additionally the design of the commercial quality decks with a very high blade speed keeps the underside cleaner and thus less clean up needed. I mow 1 acre on a weekly basis and an additional several acres less frequently

/ Opinion: Bad Boy Maverick ZTR #3  
Nearly most of the zero turn manufacturers have good equipment these days. Its the engines that really make a big difference. I use a Gravely with a kawasaki engine. Very reliable and capable. Used an Ariens zero turn with Kohler engine before that. Again extremely reliable. Bad Boy has become a growing zero turn manufacturer, choose one with a Kohler or Kawasaki engine.

I notice Bad Boy also includes a Honda engine choice for their zero turns. Normally I love Honda engines, but mowers are seasonal units, and usually parked and not used during winter season. It maybe 5 months between last mow in fall...and first mowing in spring. Honda engines are more susceptible to ethanol issues than Kohler or Kawasaki engines are. I myself have experienced such ethanol issues with simple Honda generators. Just be aware.

Last edited:
   / Opinion: Bad Boy Maverick ZTR
Nearly most of the zero turn manufacturers have good equipment these days. Its the engines that really make a big difference. I use a Gravely with a kawasaki engine. Very reliable and capable. Used an Ariens zero turn with Kohler engine before that. Again extremely reliable. Bad Boy has become a growing zero turn manufacturer, choose one with a Kohler or Kawasaki engine.

I notice Bad Boy also includes a Honda engine choice for their zero turns. Normally I love Honda engines, but mowers are seasonal units, and usually parked and not used during winter season. It maybe 5 months between last mow in fall...and first mowing in spring. Honda engines are more susceptible to ethanol issues than Kohler or Kawasaki engines are. I myself have experienced such ethanol issues with simple Honda generators. Just be aware.

Thanks for the info, I was needing info on engines and this helps. Kohler or Kawasaki?

/ Opinion: Bad Boy Maverick ZTR #5  
Kohler or Kawasaki engine??
Both are proven and reliable engines, and i just don't think one is more preferred over the other. It comes down to simple HP choice. Choose the unit with highest HP for power cutting.

/ Opinion: Bad Boy Maverick ZTR #6  
Like pigdoc & check 6 have stated, if you want power to spare you'll spend the extra bucks for diesel.
I ran a Ferris 1000Z for 16 yrs and it performed flawlessly. {23 hp Kohler, Gas}
The problem inherent with gas engines is that you don't get your torque peak until 3200 - 3600 rpms.
That's a lot of moving parts, heat and noise.
i was most pleased with the extra torque I received from less RPMs with diesel. {Ferris IS2600Z}
Plus the noise reduction is most noticeable.

Yeah, I can't imagine going back to gasoline driven turf equipment.
All that being said, I feel that the OP is considering the lesser taken path and, hence, less expensive mower.
We've all been there.
Is a BadBoy mower good quality?
They've got good points and some not so good.
You'll get what quality you can afford.
You'll arrive at the same place we did years down the path.
Enjoy the ride.
Experience ain't cheap but it's a great ride.

/ Opinion: Bad Boy Maverick ZTR #7  
For just two acres, I think the Badboy gas zero turn is just fine. Have you considered a Kubota GR2120 lawn tractor with a 54" mower deck. It has the proven kubota diesel with 21HP, and no downpayment, 3 years zero interest payment plan right now.

/ Opinion: Bad Boy Maverick ZTR #8  
I have a bad boy pup , 60 inch cut with a 30 hp kohler engine. it is six yrs old this yr and no problems. i mow 9 acres a week with it so it gets alot of hrs on it. But there are lots of good zts out there today .

/ Opinion: Bad Boy Maverick ZTR #9  

I agree, My Honda Motorcycle and ATV dont handle Ethanol at all. My B&S handle it well as long as I winterize them correctly.

/ Opinion: Bad Boy Maverick ZTR #10  
Like pigdoc & check 6 have stated, if you want power to spare you'll spend the extra bucks for diesel.
I ran a Ferris 1000Z for 16 yrs and it performed flawlessly. {23 hp Kohler, Gas}
The problem inherent with gas engines is that you don't get your torque peak until 3200 - 3600 rpms.
That's a lot of moving parts, heat and noise.
i was most pleased with the extra torque I received from less RPMs with diesel. {Ferris IS2600Z}
Plus the noise reduction is most noticeable.

Yeah, I can't imagine going back to gasoline driven turf equipment.
All that being said, I feel that the OP is considering the lesser taken path and, hence, less expensive mower.
We've all been there.
Is a BadBoy mower good quality?
They've got good points and some not so good.
You'll get what quality you can afford.
You'll arrive at the same place we did years down the path.
Enjoy the ride.
Experience ain't cheap but it's a great ride.

Diesel machines are outrageously expensive to buy. I would never buy one just to mow the lawn....the decks usually wear out first anyway. Gas engines will give you the best bang for your buck here for those who have less than 3 acres. I have two acres and my 24hp Husqvana with a 48inch deck paid 1700 usd I owned since 2005 has done so well for me I sold my 54 inch Massey Deck for my Massey Diesel :) My deck for the diesel alone was almost 3,000 usd. How much you are you gonna pay for a diesel? Its just not worth it unless you in it to make money.

Next time I will by a ZT even though I have a small part of my lawn with a slope.