Old trucks can still tow! My numbers

/ Old trucks can still tow! My numbers #1  

mcj115

Tractor
Deere 2305
I have owned a 2002 chevy Silverado 4.3L WT single cab long bed since new, but have never used it for anything other than normal homeowner hauling. I had access to larger trucks (rollbacks, medium wreckers) for any of my heavy needs. Over the past few years I lost access to the heavier trucks and now find myself needing to use the truck for towing. I was/am tempted to buy a newer larger truck but the sticker prices chase me off.

For recent projects I have acquired a Bobcat 743 skid loader. (just what every suburban homeowner needs!) I recently started moving and towing the loader and just decided to dive into the data to see how safe or unsafe the rig is in respect to towing...boy was I surprised.

This is all at home DYI weights with a set of portable scales; which are out of their calibration date--but still seem accurate but are close enough for good directional info.
The truck does not have stated tow rating like modern trucks on the door, just GVWR and axle capacities. GVWR is 6400lbs, the front axle is rated at 3150lbs, and rated at 3686 lbs. I am cheap and have the truck registered for 5000lbs for cheaper registration, instead of the 6400 lbs.

Details
Trailer 14' 10,000 Hudson equipment trailer it weighs in about 1950 -2000lbs; 1000lbs on each axle ~200lbs tounge weight
Skid loader 1987 Bobcat 743 weighs 5150lbs with bucket and forks.
Truck unlaiden is ~4700 lbs. ~2550 lbs on the front, and~2150 rear.

Loaded is what makes me happy for a lowly optioned WT with a little N/A V6 in it. This is with a weight distribution hitch but not optimally adjusted.
Trailer is ~6560lbs. 3350 front, 3200 rear; ~600 lbs tounge weight.
The truck weight in 5200 lbs. 2600 front and 2600lbs rear.
Granted I am slightly above my registered 5.2 k vs 5k eight but only by ~4%

if I follow the numbers if I were to totally load the trailer to it's 10k limit, my truck could haul it within it's ratings. Each trailer axle would be ~5k, and my truck would add ~ 1000 lbs to it's curb weight at (4700+1000)5700lbs. Granted I would be over my registered limit of 5k but I would still be within the door GWVR of 6400lbs.

Overall not bad for an ol' work truck. I don't think I need a new shiny toy since this can safely tow what I need as a homeowner.

/ Old trucks can still tow! My numbers #2  
The '99-'07 GM trucks are among my favorite, great workhorses and good family vehicles too. I owned 4 of them over the years.

That said, where do you live to have separate registration classes for a half-ton pickup?

/ Old trucks can still tow! My numbers
Pennsylvania. As with most truck registrations yi have ever delt with you choose the registered weight at or below the GVW of the vehicle which translates to different costs depending on the weight class. Just that you truck is capable of a certain weight capacity doesn't mean you will use it so just register it as less and save on registration. Sometime with medium/ heavy trucks you need to derate them which means removing a spring or changing tires. There is risk in commercial truck category to get in trouble if your weight is over registered but for a small pickup 1/2 or 3/4 ton you don't really need to worry unless you are grossly overloaded. The only problem I have had in 20 years was at the quarry when I wanted a ton of aggregate but they only gave me about 500 lbs due to my registered weight.

/ Old trucks can still tow! My numbers #4  
That's so foreign to me; as long as you're under 10k you can run passenger plates all day, over that you need 'commercial' plates. I basically have passenger plates on my F350, and it's totally cool so long as I don't go over 10k pounds GCWR. I can only speak for Maine, though.

Ironically, at 11400 lb GVWR, I can't actually max load my truck. Not that I realistically could anyhow, as it's just some retirees daily driver.

Last edited:
   / Old trucks can still tow! My numbers #5  
I’d say your analysis is good and goes beyond what most people do.

Last edited:
   / Old trucks can still tow! My numbers
There are lies, darn lies and statistics.....you can't make an informed decision without data! I am also lucky enough to have access to the scales.

I wanted to share these observations with others who may have similar equipment so they may have and idea of how they are loaded and what they can carry.

The next time I load the truck I will play with proper setting of the weight distributing hitch to see how much weight I can transfer to and from the front axle.

I am just surprised...I was under the impression that a new 2024 Silverado would be so far ahead rating wise compared to my 22 year old WT. The current entry level 2024 Silverado (which mine was when purchased) with the four banger is only rated at 9500lbs max towing so things have actually been downgraded when comparing new apples to old apples.

/ Old trucks can still tow! My numbers #7  
I'd trust a 4.3 to do more towing in the long term than any turbo 4; there is no science behind it, just personal opinion and bias, lol.

You've got a good truck.

/ Old trucks can still tow! My numbers #8  
While your trailer maybe could handle the 10k alone, depending on your truck configuration the 10k is the GCWR meaning Combined; the truck weight plus the trailer weight plus the what's on it equals 10k total. period. per Owner Man.
1.png2.png

/ Old trucks can still tow! My numbers #9  
While your trailer maybe could handle the 10k alone, depending on your truck configuration the 10k is the GCWR meaning Combined; the truck weight plus the trailer weight plus the what's on it equals 10k total. period. per Owner Man.
View attachment 864190View attachment 864191
Yes, he's over on gcwr. Even a 7k trailer puts him over.
Half tons just don't have the gcwr to handle big trailers.