no till drill's

/ no till drill's
Yes on the Great Plains unit. With the Genesis I just mix the seed before putting it in the planter. As mentioned I just sewed wheat and clover mix. If you wanted to just seed for instance clover on the GP unit you need the small seed box. On the Genesis you can get it adjusted without one. But I almost always mix the clover with either oats or wheat.
Thank you, when I’ve planted clover I also plant either wheat or oats on top, however I plant more clover seeds per acre than the cover crop. I see on the GP model it would still do this. How does that work with the genesis? Do you just adjust the ratio of seeds in the hopper to achieve the same results?

/ no till drill's #12  
I generally plant red and white clover. Red @ 8 lb acre and white @ 5 lb acre along with wheat or oats @ 60 lb to the acre. I simply mix it all together and then put it in the seeder and set it up so it spreads the entire mix in one acre.

/ no till drill's #13  
The co-ops and feed stores around here will run seeds through their blower to mix them thoroughly at no extra cost. As long as they're compatible seeds (like alfalfa wouldn't mix with orchardgrass). Makes it easier to just add to your seeder with out trying to mix and you get a thorough even stand of mixed crop.

/ no till drill's #15  
I have a great plains 3 pt 605 no till. I pull it with a Deere 4720 hydro FEL, R4 and have no trouble pulling it. I’ve done it for 12 years with no problems then I had to rebuild my rock shaft because the deere is rated for 2500 pounds of lift and I would put 400 pounds of seed in it plus the 2300 pounds of drill weight. Love the small seed box too. I chose 3pt because I want to be able to put it on a 84” wide trailer. If you are able to use it in wide-open spots I would get a tow behind model some of the plots we hunt I must do a three point turn around at the end. Also use 5075m with no loader and 4wd and it handles the weight with no problem, but have 1000 lb on front weight bar. I used to use a 5320 and it had no trouble picking up the weight empty but once I put seed in it I could not steer so you’ll have to keep your front end loader/ bucket on. Like you all we are a hunt club and plant about 100 acres a year with it and this year with all the rain and thatch it was the only way we could plant. Let me know if you have questions.

/ no till drill's #16  
About 15 or so years ago.. In my tool and die shop I helped a guy proto type a 3pt, cat 2, power opener over seeder.. The target buyer for this was to be golf courses and sports field operators..

I was told it worked great with higher germination rates than expected... I suspect this type over seeder would work well with many low till, no till areas.. I also suspect it would work well with many small grain seeds, but not sure how it would handle row crop type seeds, like corn or beans in the mix..

But then if you could get a small seed planter to do 80% of the variety you want to plant.. Then do the last 20% being big seeds with a corn planter....

When I plant "food plot" type plants for our small livestock, I disc or chain harrow, hand broadcast, and cover with the chain harrow or a brace of light truck tires to cover.. This being the cheap way, but adequate for our use..

My 5 cents of experience..