New to me Gravely 5240

/ New to me Gravely 5240 #1  

Lnk

Gold Member
Tractor
Ferguson to-20, Deutz D7007, Yazoo yhr-60, Gravely 5240, Gravely C8 and model L,
Just picked up a 5204 with 40" grass mower and skulky (sp) for $75. Guy said it didn't work and there was water on the dipstick. He helped me load it in the pickup and I brought it home. Drained water out of oilpan, and gearbox. Seems it was left out in the rain for a while with no filler cap on the gearbox. Refilled with 30 weight oil. Pulled over a little hard. Pulled the plug and looked inside with bore scope. No pitting, light tan on cyli der walls. Added a spoon full of oil and rotated slowly. Left overnight, while I went and did some research.

Next morning, Sunday, I did a compression test with the pull starter. 130 psi, sounds good. Smelled varnish, so I took off the carburetor and cleaned it. Set the needles to 2 turns out. Checked spark, none. Found points dirty and closed. Found the "s" on the flywheel and set the points to .020". Set choke, pulled very hard. Automatic compression release not working. Pulled a couple more times and she pops.

Back off on the choke and she fired, and started crawling into my shed. Shut down, seems the neutral has no real detent on the direction or gear levers. The weight of the handles engages just enough to allow it to drive. Strap the drive lever into neutral and she runs great. Smoked a bit when it first started. Ran it for a couple of minutes and changed the oil again. A little milky, but clean.

Star it again and she runs and idles great. Adjusted gear select lever to ".010 between coils on springs for both high and low, as well as forward. Took it for a ride and she drives nice, but stutters under load, but doesn't stall. The points were Pretty bad before I filed them clean, fuel float it set correctly, doesn't seem to be lean or too rich. Plug is grey and sooty.

After it cooled down for a couple hours, I checked the valve to tappet clearance, .018" exhaust and only .005" on intake. Ground the stem to get .007 and reassembled. Still stuttering at high load.

I checked the condenser and it checks good. Carb cleaned up nice, tried to adjust carb richer but still stuttering. I ordered new point and condenser. Anything I am missing? Here is a pick from the ad, been too busy to take more yet. Screenshot_20190608-055443.png

/ New to me Gravely 5240 #2  
I had a 12 hp 5665. Could not set the points to 0.020" on it. Otherwise, they'd never close. Had to set the points maybe about 0.016".

I could not handle mine until I put steering brakes on it. The brakes were controlled by a single handle between the handle bars. Good then. Could steer it with one hand on the handle. Otherwise, it was like trying to wrestle a 400 # sumo wrestler.

I always used 5w30 oil. 0w30 would be even better in the winter.

Had several different implements, including sulky for mine. It just did not have the traction, even with dual wheels and ag tires, to make it up and down our back hill safely. Bought a 4wd JD in 2004 and sold the Gravely.

Ralph

/ New to me Gravely 5240
I had a 12 hp 5665. Could not set the points to 0.020" on it. Otherwise, they'd never close. Had to set the points maybe about 0.016".

I could not handle mine until I put steering brakes on it. The brakes were controlled by a single handle between the handle bars. Good then. Could steer it with one hand on the handle. Otherwise, it was like trying to wrestle a 400 # sumo wrestler.

I always used 5w30 oil. 0w30 would be even better in the winter.

Had several different implements, including sulky for mine. It just did not have the traction, even with dual wheels and ag tires, to make it up and down our back hill safely. Bought a 4wd JD in 2004 and sold the Gravely.

Ralph

If I close the gap to .016", won't that advance the timing? I think I will try to set the points to just open at the "S" mark. Will just check continuity and get them to just break. If no difference I will set them at .016". Thanks.

/ New to me Gravely 5240 #4  
I would give $75 for that deck I was given a professional 12 walk behind like new condition. All I have right now Is a plow

/ New to me Gravely 5240
I found this on letgo, I have been looking for one if it came up cheap enough. Now I have to find more attachments. Would love the brush cutter. I have some things I can't get to with a tractor. Not sure what else I would want, unless there was a stump grinder....

/ New to me Gravely 5240 #6  
There was a stump grinder made . But gravely did not make it. Back in the days when more people used walking tractors other manufacturers made attachments. There are manufacturers that just make implements for walking tractors in Europe . I have a Zanon mower deck for my Grillo . I can't complain I was given the nicest gravely walk behind I have seen. I am doing a few things that put a mower deck purchase on the back burner for a couple weeks

/ New to me Gravely 5240
Update:

Well, it lasted for a couple of hours until it started to growl. Turned really hard. Shut it down and pulled the motor apart. Piston seemed ok but worn on the skirts. Cylinder was ok, about .001 wider than across, but is a .020" over piston. But the aluminum! Connecting rod was tough to move, when I removed the cap, there was falling on the journal. Cleaned the aluminum off the journal with muriatic acid. Miked to spec in manual. Ordered new rebuild kit for $85 off fleabay.

After reassemble, I could not get to fire, because I never opened tank valve. D'oh!

Runs great, starts on the 2nd pull. First pull with choke, stutters and stalls before I can get the choke off. Fires right up on the next. Will run it for a few hours before changing the oil again. Now I have to find a brush mower. :D

/ New to me Gravely 5240 #8  
Just picked up a 5204 with 40" grass mower and skulky (sp) for $75. Guy said it didn't work and there was water on the dipstick. He helped me load it in the pickup and I brought it home. Drained water out of oilpan, and gearbox. Seems it was left out in the rain for a while with no filler cap on the gearbox. Refilled with 30 weight oil. Pulled over a little hard. Pulled the plug and looked inside with bore scope. No pitting, light tan on cyli der walls. Added a spoon full of oil and rotated slowly. Left overnight, while I went and did some research.

Next morning, Sunday, I did a compression test with the pull starter. 130 psi, sounds good. Smelled varnish, so I took off the carburetor and cleaned it. Set the needles to 2 turns out. Checked spark, none. Found points dirty and closed. Found the "s" on the flywheel and set the points to .020". Set choke, pulled very hard. Automatic compression release not working. Pulled a couple more times and she pops.

Back off on the choke and she fired, and started crawling into my shed. Shut down, seems the neutral has no real detent on the direction or gear levers. The weight of the handles engages just enough to allow it to drive. Strap the drive lever into neutral and she runs great. Smoked a bit when it first started. Ran it for a couple of minutes and changed the oil again. A little milky, but clean.

Star it again and she runs and idles great. Adjusted gear select lever to ".010 between coils on springs for both high and low, as well as forward. Took it for a ride and she drives nice, but stutters under load, but doesn't stall. The points were Pretty bad before I filed them clean, fuel float it set correctly, doesn't seem to be lean or too rich. Plug is grey and sooty.

After it cooled down for a couple hours, I checked the valve to tappet clearance, .018" exhaust and only .005" on intake. Ground the stem to get .007 and reassembled. Still stuttering at high load.

I checked the condenser and it checks good. Carb cleaned up nice, tried to adjust carb richer but still stuttering. I ordered new point and condenser. Anything I am missing? Here is a pick from the ad, been too busy to take more yet.View attachment 608600
The 5240 has a mechanical diaphragm fuel pump however it may run with just gravity flow and may stutter if it doesn't have pressure from the pump.
I'd check it next
Also make sure the governor is adjusted properly..
I have a 5260 in my collection..it's the same K181 set up but with electric start..