My next project

/ My next project #1  

Tchamp

Silver Member
Tractor
Power trac PT-2422
I am wanting to do something like this for my 2422
IMG_3364.JPG

I have the donor already but need to get a hydraulic motor to run it off my aux lines. If anyone has any suggestions for me for the hydraulic motor to use for the configuration of this, i would appreciate any input. Here is a pic of the donor i am going to be using. Its a 4 foot deck. Picked it up for 300.
IMG_3418.JPG

/ My next project #2  
I assume you mean your PTO lines, right?

I used a hydraulic PTO drive motors from Surplus center. It comes with the standard ag splined shaft that make hookup easy. Just check your flow and pressure on your tractor, and then use a hydraulic calculator to work out the size (cu.in./rev) that you need to get 540, or 1,000 for your mower. Finally, make sure you get the rotation right, as not all motors are reversible, and most mowers are one direction only. I used a mower shock plate from somewhere to take some of the mowing impact shock out of the driveline to reduce the effects on the motor.

Keep us posted! That looks like a fun project. I've gotten hoses and fittings from Bailey's, Discount Hydraulic Hose, Summit racing, and Amazon. Most of my local suppliers have significant markups.

All the best,

Peter

/ My next project
I assume you mean your PTO lines, right?

I used a hydraulic PTO drive motors from Surplus center. It comes with the standard ag splined shaft that make hookup easy. Just check your flow and pressure on your tractor, and then use a hydraulic calculator to work out the size (cu.in./rev) that you need to get 540, or 1,000 for your mower. Finally, make sure you get the rotation right, as not all motors are reversible, and most mowers are one direction only. I used a mower shock plate from somewhere to take some of the mowing impact shock out of the driveline to reduce the effects on the motor.

Keep us posted! That looks like a fun project. I've gotten hoses and fittings from Bailey's, Discount Hydraulic Hose, Summit racing, and Amazon. Most of my local suppliers have significant markups.

All the best,

Peter

That is the problem, i cant find a match. I can get close but when i ask their tech support they say it will not do what i want it to. I am running 9 gpm. 2500 psi and want to turn anywhere from 4-600 rpm. I know there are pumps that flow in that gpm but trying to find them is being really hard. I know they have them on the lane sharks, maybe i have to drive to one of the dealers and get the info on their pumps.

/ My next project #4  
That is the problem, i cant find a match. I can get close but when i ask their tech support they say it will not do what i want it to. I am running 9 gpm. 2500 psi and want to turn anywhere from 4-600 rpm. I know there are pumps that flow in that gpm but trying to find them is being really hard. I know they have them on the lane sharks, maybe i have to drive to one of the dealers and get the info on their pumps.
Hmmm. I think that you would want about a 3.75cu.in motor. You are right Surplus center doesn't have one that small. They do have this one;

which is 4.95cu.in., and would turn at about 400rpm, which seems too slow to me.
They do have this motor;
but you would need to fabricate a mount and couplings for it.
Did you ask if they could custom order a smaller one?

Good luck!

All the best, Peter

/ My next project
Hmmm. I think that you would want about a 3.75cu.in motor. You are right Surplus center doesn't have one that small. They do have this one;

which is 4.95cu.in., and would turn at about 400rpm, which seems too slow to me.
They do have this motor;
but you would need to fabricate a mount and couplings for it.
Did you ask if they could custom order a smaller one?

Good luck!

All the best, Peter

Is my thinking right if i buy the first pump you sent the splined one it shows 18 gph @2500 psi, 800 rpm, if i connect to my unit with 9 gpm 2500 psi woudnt it run about half speed around 400 rpm? Is my train of thought right? I am thinking i can do this but no one can give me an answer whether i can or not. I am trying to use logic but the tech repsfrom these companies dont want to give me an answer, i guess maybe out of the liability aspect? What do you think?
My thoughts are that i will run motor half its intended rpms and it should have a much longer service life, less wear and tear, less heat, etc.

/ My next project #6  
Is my thinking right if i buy the first pump you sent the splined one it shows 18 gph @2500 psi, 800 rpm, if i connect to my unit with 9 gpm 2500 psi woudnt it run about half speed around 400 rpm? Is my train of thought right? I am thinking i can do this but no one can give me an answer whether i can or not. I am trying to use logic but the tech repsfrom these companies dont want to give me an answer, i guess maybe out of the liability aspect? What do you think?
My thoughts are that i will run motor half its intended rpms and it should have a much longer service life, less wear and tear, less heat, etc.
Your reasoning is spot on. A motor that runs 800rpm at twice the flow, will run at 400rpm at the base flow.

My concern is that the effectiveness of a mower is basically linear in rotational speed. (Momentum=mass x velocity) The rotational energy in the rotating blades goes as mass x velocity x velocity, i.e. the square of the velocity.

I suspect, but don't know, that the result of that math is that you don't want to underspeed your mower. It may not matter much with grass (rougher cut), but I suspect it will have a real effect on brush mowing.

Easy to try out at home, using a power push mower. Mow at wide open throttle, then try mowing at half throttle.

All the best,

Peter

/ My next project
Your reasoning is spot on. A motor that runs 800rpm at twice the flow, will run at 400rpm at the base flow.

My concern is that the effectiveness of a mower is basically linear in rotational speed. (Momentum=mass x velocity) The rotational energy in the rotating blades goes as mass x velocity x velocity, i.e. the square of the velocity.

I suspect, but don't know, that the result of that math is that you don't want to underspeed your mower. It may not matter much with grass (rougher cut), but I suspect it will have a real effect on brush mowing.

Easy to try out at home, using a power push mower. Mow at wide open throttle, then try mowing at half throttle.

All the best,

Peter

Im only going to use it to cut briars and underbrush out in the wooded lots around my house and my area and cut the ditches that i cant get to with my mower. Most bush hogs run at 540 + or - i think for what i need to do 400 would do me ok. I can get other motor that give me a little more speed but lose alot of torque in doing so. I think what i want it for it would work ok. I am just not wanting to pull the trigger untill i have a little more research under my belt.

/ My next project
Found motor from skid steer solutions for 210 dollars plus shipping. In the process of getting the adaptor for the motor to the bush hog input shaft then will fabricate the assy to mount motor and quick attach plate to bush hog. Am excited to see how this will work out.
The bush hog turns at 1-1.47 rpm
The flow at 10 gpm is around 473 on the motor. At 10 gpm my rpm should be around 695 rpm, more than enough to do what i want. I am flowing around 9gpm with the pump i have now so i should have enough to run this deck ok. I’m not planning to use it to mow fields with, but just to use to cut underbrush and stuff out of the woods a little at a time.Let me know your opinions

Attachments

• IMG_3674.JPG
    IMG_3674.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3678.JPG
    IMG_3678.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
   / My next project
Found motor from skid steer solutions for 210 dollars plus shipping. In the process of getting the adaptor for the motor to the bush hog input shaft then will fabricate the assy to mount motor and quick attach plate to bush hog. Am excited to see how this will work out.
The bush hog turns at 1-1.47 rpm
The flow at 10 gpm is around 473 on the motor. At 10 gpm my rpm should be around 695 rpm, more than enough to do what i want. I am flowing around 9gpm with the pump i have now so i should have enough to run this deck ok. I’m not planning to use it to mow fields with, but just to use to cut underbrush and stuff out of the woods a little at a time.Let me know your opinions

IMG_3683.JPG
IMG_3684.JPG