most likely a controversial mod.

/ most likely a controversial mod. #31  
Good discussion of pros and cons. I'm not a fan of do-it-yourself ROP mods, but at the risk of pointing out the obvious, a shortened ROPs that's always up gives a lot more protection than a fold-down ROPs that's always left down because of clearance issues.

I bought my Kubota B2150 used from a dealer with 60 hrs on it 22 yrs ago. The first owner was a landscaper who bought it for a big mowing contract that he promptly lost. Unfortunately, he'd chopped off the ROPs to mow around trees (it isn't a fold-down), so when he turned it back in, the dealer had to repair it. They used 1-1/8" thick steel mending plates as splices, one on each side of the tractor, tapped threaded and bolted (not welded) to the ROPs with Grade 8 fasteners. On my invoice they expressly disclaimed liability regarding the mod. Don't know if they would be comfortable reselling with that mod today.

In my case, the repair restored the ROPs to its original height. S219's point about shortening reducing the protection against full rollover, as distinguished from head clearance, is a good one.

Last edited:
   / most likely a controversial mod. #32  
Good discussion of pros and cons. I'm not a fan of do-it-yourself ROP mods.

There is a lot of room for improvement on factory ROPS. They are not the end all be all in safety! It is an arbitrary standard established by regulation. Owner operators can choose less or more roll over protection. And for that reason, I am a fan of modifying them to improve performance if the owner feels that is necessary for their given tasks.

/ most likely a controversial mod. #33  
This is about as far as I would go in ROPS "modifications". Added an expanded metal screen to the ROPS on my 2008 Mahindra 5525 to protect my backside when mowing (brush hog, flail mower). Used hose clamps to hold the screen in place.

That ROPS is about 8 ft tall. Fits fine in my shop with 10x10 ft rollup doors and carport with 9 ft high sides.

Mahindra ROPS screen-2.JPGMahindra ROPs screen-1.JPG

/ most likely a controversial mod. #34  
I think you are a very good welder. I also admire a craftsman that sees a fabrication table on his concrete floor. It's where I mock up any project like that. Nice work.

/ most likely a controversial mod. #35  
Great job. Good to see someone overcome the 'taboo' of ROPS modifications. How do you sleep at night? Many people here would toss and turn forever feeling like they had just killed their spouse and be afraid they're going to get caught. :)

I solved the ROPS vs door problem by buying a tractor that fit thru my 7 foot opening. I brought a tape measure to every dealer and measured everything... height, width , length with/without implements, and attachments.

I have 1/2 inch height to spare going thru my doors.

Again, great job.

Exactly.

The taboo against modifying ROPS seems based more on belief in witchcraft, lack of information - and scary warnings on labels - than any real engineering justification.

Back in my younger days - I was involved with SCCA racing. The SCCA rulebooks (and the NHRA and other race-sanctioning bodies I'm sure have teh exact same thing) - spell out pretty clearly what needs to be done to get a roll cage to pass tech inspection. The specify tubing diameter, tubing type, weld quality - etc.

But there is nothing in there about not "doing it yourself".

If a person at home can build a race car rollcage that is supposed to save his life when the car gets airborne at 100mph - then there is absolutely no inherent reason why somebody couldn't modify their ROPS ' at home ' - and do a perfectly suitable job at it.

In the end what we're talking about here is competency - not something that people inherently probably shouldn't be doing in their home workshop - like building a nuclear reactor or something like that.

/ most likely a controversial mod. #36  
Exactly.

The taboo against modifying ROPS seems based more on belief in witchcraft, lack of information - and scary warnings on labels - than any real engineering justification.

This is also well said.
I'm learning, slowly, that these forums are more focused on modern tractors than the antique/older tractor boards I mostly hang out on.
Here you have a lot of people who lack the mechanical skills to competently make a mod like that. So they buy new tractors that don't need much in the line of repairs and follow operating instructions, safety warnings and the like very closely. This is not to put them down. I am sure when they aren't tractoring they are very good CPAs, doctors, ministers, brick layers, carpenters, etc.
But it seems they lack the mechanical depth to go beyond the warnings and instructions and so a lot of myths and taboos get started.
I too would have no qualms about modifying a rops or building one from scratch that I know would be as safe or safer than than OEM.
But the spoken words of guys like you who have skills are up against the printed words of the manuals. So myths and taboos die hard.
All those safety warnings are good admonishments. But you wont die if you don't follow them exactly, as long as you use your head.

/ most likely a controversial mod. #37  
Exactly.

This is also well said.
I'm learning, slowly, that these forums are more focused on modern tractors than the antique/older tractor boards I mostly hang out on.
Here you have a lot of people who lack the mechanical skills to competently make a mod like that. So they buy new tractors that don't need much in the line of repairs and follow operating instructions, safety warnings and the like very closely. This is not to put them down. I am sure when they aren't tractoring they are very good CPAs, doctors, ministers, brick layers, carpenters, etc.
But it seems they lack the mechanical depth to go beyond the warnings and instructions and so a lot of myths and taboos get started.
I too would have no qualms about modifying a rops or building one from scratch that I know would be as safe or safer than than OEM.
But the spoken words of guys like you who have skills are up against the printed words of the manuals. So myths and taboos die hard.
All those safety warnings are good admonishments. But you wont die if you don't follow them exactly, as long as you use your head.

/ most likely a controversial mod. #38  
This is also well said.

I agree. And just as "they" are reluctant to do real world modifications, "I" would be reluctant to do financial accounting and advice for a large Corp, brain surgery, offer spiritual guidance to a congregation, build a pyramid or build a 3 story house. It's all about "where" we are. I'm with you. If I don't like it, I modify it, with my only thoughts toward it still providing me a service. If there's no service, it gets removed. I bought a 3910fwd with ROPS last Winter. As soon as it makes it back to the shop (stored at the farm now) I'll remove the ROPS. Tired of getting smacked by tree limbs that get hung up in it.... :D

/ most likely a controversial mod. #39  
I have an M7040 with shorten rops...done by previous owner, not me. Did it so it fit in his garage. Does it bother me?...not at all. In fact I like it shorten a bit.

/ most likely a controversial mod. #40  
Do you wear your seatbelt? I don't. I think my tractor has one but I have never put it on - not once. I am not sure how beneficial a rops is without wearing the seatbelt. Looks like you did a good job but if it was in my way I would have probably just taken it off but I know the safety police wouldn't like that.

My Mahindra has a seat belt. But I'll be danged if I can get it around my waist! I'm not a big guy either, 34-36" pant size.