Memorial Day

/ Memorial Day #1  

RobertN

Tractor
New Holland TC40D
Old Glory at sunset, with flags from all branches of US Service. Veteran's Memorial, Placerville Ca
DSCN1648.jpg

/ Memorial Day
My Grandfathers plaque in the walk of honor. World War-1 vet, fought in France, and got a whiff of mustard gas that gave him an awful cough till the the day he died in '79.
DSCN1646.jpg

/ Memorial Day #3  
Thanks!

I hope that everyone takes a moment to pause and remember what this holiday is really about.

/ Memorial Day #5  
Remember, honor, reflect.....

Thanks to all serve our country, past, present and future.

/ Memorial Day #8  
One of my pet peeves is folks/entities that confuse Memorial Day and Veterans Day...

Memorial Day is to honor those that gave their lives for their country...Veterans Day is to honor all those that have served (and are serving)...

/ Memorial Day #9  
One of my pet peeves is folks/entities that confuse Memorial Day and Veterans Day...

Memorial Day is to honor those that gave their lives for their country...Veterans Day is to honor all those that have served (and are serving)...

I understand what you're saying, and I was corrected last year memorial day for this very thing. but you must admit it's a bit difficult to celebrate the dead, apparently most of us have turned a day of memory and morning for those who have died in war, into a day of appreciation and celebration for those who are currently serving as well, we have outdoor BBQ events etc, etc, for as long as I can remember memorial day has been a day of celebration.

Yes of course these are two desperate occasion, but people want to express their gratitude to someone who is alive. Someone who they can shake hands with or to just say thanks too, Shouldn't be anything wrong with this,

For example look at another occasion ( Mothers day ) everyone has or had a Mother and who are now Mom's themselves.
Mothers day is a day to celebrate all living Mom's, right! however we are compelled on this same day to also remember our Mothers who have passed away . we bring flowers to their memorials . The same goes for our fathers, though we do think of them on each anniversary of their death we just don't wish to celebrate it.
I Think for many of us its just human nature to combine certain events, wrong or right can't see any harm done.
Just my point of view.

/ Memorial Day #10  
Yes of course these are two desperate occasion, but people want to express their gratitude to someone who is alive. Someone who they can shake hands with or to just say thanks too, Shouldn't be anything wrong with this,

Totally agree. It is important to know the difference, but there is never anything wrong with expressing your gratitude to someone who has served.

And the truth is that anyone who has served has, in fact, put their life on the line. Obviously there are degrees to which this is true. For front line combat troops the willingness to serve and to die is quite obvious. But let me relate another aspect of military service. And don't get me wrong.....I did nothing courageous or sacrificial in my short military career, but I think my rather boring story exemplifies the commitment that every service member makes:

I joined the USAF so that they would pay for my med school training. Did a 3 year family medicine residency at Eglin AFB Regional Hospital at Eglin AFB. Nice base. Nice location. Then stationed at a small clinic at Charleston AFB. Cush. Then the Bosnia thing heated up in the late 90's and it was my turn for a deployment. Fly to Germany and all of a sudden here I am, a family practice doctor, standing in a deployment line being issued a helmet, bullet proof vest and a side arm I'd never trained on. Next thing I know I'm told I'd be on the first U.S. plane to Tusla, Bosnia (?) and I'm getting training in tactical exit from an aircraft, what to do if I find myself in a minefield and what type of things might be booby trapped...baby dolls, doors, etc. Well it hits home. Scares the dickens out of you. I'm not a soldier and yet there is still a chance someone is going to try to kill me. End result? I never set foot in Bosnia....the US military machine is unpredictable and inscrutable.....I never went near anywhere dangerous and I don't need or deserve any thanks.

But the point is, virtually anyone who signs on the line and joins up puts themselves in harm's way whether they even know it or not. Thank them for it. Especially in the last 20 years it is real, it is serious and what they do is important whether they are a Navy Seal or an Army cook. So sure, honor those who made the ultimate sacrifice on Memorial Day.....but honor those who put their lives on the line and survived and those who are putting their lives on the line now. No harm in that. And it IS important to them.