Lift capabilities

/ Lift capabilities #41  
Adding another note for future reference for someone also needing to do this. As soon (and respectfully) as possible after the vet has confirmed there is no more signs of life, pull and bundle both front and back legs inward towards their belly and tie them with a rope or cheap/disposable ratchet strap as tightly as you can before rigormortis sets in. Otherwise once those legs stiffen up those make the whole process much more awkward and difficult.
Very well stated. A few years ago, on Halloween night no less, a neighbor came over asking for help in burying her beloved goat. My tractor is a little Massey 2520, so not a big tractor/loader/backhoe as all.

Dug the hole as deep as I could reach and as large as feasible. Went to push the goat in - no lowering or 21-gun salute. Goat was stiff as a board. Asked another neighbor standing by to take the goat-bereaved owner off for some chit chat, while I tamped the goat into the hole, breaking some parts in the process. Scooped a little dirt for coverage, then we all came together for a few words over the goat. On a gloomy Halloween night. Under the full moon. Yeah.....

/ Lift capabilities #42  
We run a small horse boarding facility. For years I worried about how to get a downed horse out of the stall. Our stalls have half-Dutch doors and the aisles are wide but not wide enough for a tractor to run/pull "cross-ways" out of the stall. Most our client animals (and ours) were put down outside and then picked up by a service. But, finally one cold Valentine's Day evening it happened: a horse was down and had to be euthanized in its stall. The solution came to me that day. I built a large, flat "sled" of 2x6 lumber, put multiple old broom sticks and old pick handles beneath to act as rollers. After the owner left following her final good-byes, placed the sled next to the horse and three of us rolled the horse onto her back on the sled (using legs as levers, it was gentle and pretty easy). Then we rolled the sled out of the stall and out the barn. We relayed the rollers from behind the sled to place them in front as we progressed. It was very gentle and safe for all of us.
(Think of the images you've seen of how the Egyptians moved the pyramid stones.)

/ Lift capabilities #43  
Why does that make me so sad? 30 years hard work and that's what you get. Can't be sentimental over a workhorse I guess. Not like it was a pet. I reckon I would try to do it when no one is around and forget the niceties. The horse won't notice.

/ Lift capabilities #44  
Why does that make me so sad? 30 years hard work and that's what you get. Can't be sentimental over a workhorse I guess. Not like it was a pet. I reckon I would try to do it when no one is around and forget the niceties. The horse won't notice.
It is sad. Having to put one down is a traumatic event to my wife. Our horses are pets to us, same as our cats & dogs. Disposal is definitely not the same.

/ Lift capabilities #45  
maybe dig one day and when the vet is ready, walk the horse into the hole and euthanize it inside. a working horse would appreciate being able to help til the end.

/ Lift capabilities
maybe dig one day and when the vet is ready, walk the horse into the hole and euthanize it inside. a working horse would appreciate being able to help til the end.
Although its a done deal, the owner for some reason decided not to walk horse down, maybe because it wouldn't???

/ Lift capabilities #47  
I own a New Holland TC 29D. My neighbor asked me for a favor, I said I would help, if I could. Sadly, they are putting down one of their 30+ year old horses. They asked me if I would place in grave. Someone with an excavator is doing the digging prior, but can't stay around to lower horse. I'm not sure if I'm reading manual correctly, but it would seem like the lifting capabilities are 800#. Research shows the average horse is 1000# to 1200#. Yes, I know that there are wide variables to horse weight. This particular horse has been unable to gain weight despite vet recommended diet, and will not be able to survive the winter. Still, when standing next to it, seems big to a non horse knowledgeable person. I don't want to disrespect the horse by not being able to lift it, which I was going to accomplish by strapping the legs. Not sure if that is the best way either. Strap is 25'ish 7500# rating.
Any help would be appreciated.
Legalities need to be considered. Can cause pollution to water sources on property and downstream. You don't want involved in that mess. Alternatives are proper composting of animal, cremation, and having it hauled away to be rendered. If there are any Amish around they will have a proven method.