Lawn-Boy Where to find the serial number.

/ Lawn-Boy Where to find the serial number. #1  

Jeff Lary

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L2950
I got a free Lawn-Boy Gold Pro Series 6.5 push mower today from a neighbor. They had a FREE sign on it out beside the road, so I grabbed it. I have always wanted a 2-stroke Lawn-Boy. It Seems to run ok ( ie starts up) I needed a primer which I have found on the ole Amazon for $7.00. On the mower, where would I find the serial no.? I found a "SPEC NO." 100 9592 & 141 cc on the same sticker. Thought I would maybe look for an owner's manual as well. Thanks for any help , Jeff

/ Lawn-Boy Where to find the serial number. #2  
I’ve got a similar mower, this is what’s on mine. Which has the same number you listed. I dont know if there is a tag elsewhere or not.
IMG_1950.jpeg

/ Lawn-Boy Where to find the serial number.
Since posting this I went to uncle google and have been reading all manner of horror stories on what a pile of junk this mower is, I sure hope not but that seems to be the consensus of what I have read. Probably why it was free ha ha. Thanks for your response.

/ Lawn-Boy Where to find the serial number. #4  
I kind of like mine. It’s aluminum deck and has a belt drive that powers the rear wheels. I put a carb on mine and got a new primer bulb last year along with the primer hose. I just use it for trimming but for some reason on like the old girl.
IMG_0808.jpeg

/ Lawn-Boy Where to find the serial number. #5  
Doe yours have a control panel o the handle? Behind that if so. THE TORO COMPANY

i dont think so

/ Lawn-Boy Where to find the serial number. #7  
Those old lawn boys last forever, great mower, they do what they were designed to do.

I always wanted a 2-stroke lawn boy now I have one. Course I have 2 other push mowers and a Wheelhorse, so I don't really need it.

I want to look at the drive belt and transmission before I place my primer bulb order in case i need something else. For all I know the belt may not even be on the mower. I have not looked it over too closely yet.

From watching videos, it seems like my blade assembly may be installed incorrectly. On this mower there is the crankshaft nut then the blade then under the blade is an almost square plate about 3"x3"? I am wondering if someone knows in what order the assembly should be? From what I have seen on YouTube it looks like the order should be, Nut, Square Plate, then the blade, if you know please comment. I am sure I will have more questions as time moves forward.

/ Lawn-Boy Where to find the serial number. #9  
Since posting this I went to uncle google and have been reading all manner of horror stories on what a pile of junk this mower is, I sure hope not but that seems to be the consensus of what I have read. Probably why it was free ha ha. Thanks for your response.
Back in the day... when gas powered rotary mowers were the new thing I bought a brand new Lawn Boy. That was supposed to be the Cadillac of mowers. I think I paid something like $300 for it, and that was back in the early '60's. Took it home and tried to crank it. Boom! I jerked the cord right out of the pull-start.
Replaced the cord with another one exactly like the one that broke. Then BOOM - broke that one. Repeaded a third time; same effect. I got so mad - I took the mower to the front of the house for the garbabe man to haul off. Dang I was mad!
Neighbor across the stree asked it he could have it. I said, Of Course, but you'll be disappointed. He took the Lawn Boy inside his garage, put a longer cord on the pull start. Problem solved.
The neighbor used that mower for years and years. Every time he did he'd smile and wave at me across the street. Free mower, best on the market, and all for the $0.30/piece of rope.
My bad temper cost me $300 that time :-(

I used the mower a bit today. I ran good I did not end up ordering a belt or primer. The belt I am sure is worn likely original to whatever year it is but the self-propelled portion does work. I took all wheels off for lube but specially the rear. I cleaned out the gear teeth on both the gear and the wheel everything looks good it even has a grease fitting on each of the rear gear drive assemblies. Thanks for the responses ,Jeff