Land plane for 45 hp tractor

/ Land plane for 45 hp tractor #1  

930ck

Silver Member
Tractor
allis d 17/ case 930, 1370/ kubota L5740
On the council of a small town and looking at a land plane to maintain dirt roads. Tractor is 2 wheel drive and was wondering if an 84” wide one would be the right width ? I think a 96 “ would be way to much for the tractor. Thanks

/ Land plane for 45 hp tractor #2  
I agree size wise. I have a MX5200 I used with an 84" 500 pound LP. When the ground gets hard I fill the water barrel which can weigh up to 500 pounds additional. I do have 4 wd but rarely if ever use it to pull the LP ... except for the 1 time I struck it in a wet clay field - oops

Attachments

• IMG_3095.jpg
    IMG_3095.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_3096.jpg
    IMG_3096.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 41
   / Land plane for 45 hp tractor #3  
I have a Land Pride GS2584 - LPGS. 84 inches wide, 820 pounds - with scarifiers.

I pull it with my 64 hp Kubota M6040. It works very well on my mile long gravel driveway. I have it set with the two blades - one and a half inches below the side boards. I use the scarrifiers when fixing potholes, riffles and such. It is an almost no-brainer to use. Just hook up and drag this implement.

If your dirt roads dry out and become extremely hard in the summer - as my driveway does. I would STRONGLY recommend getting scarifiers on any land plane grading scraper. Either that or get a unit that you can add considerable weight to. As SCOOTR has done - post#2.

At 820 pounds - my LPGS has just enough weight to cut the "crust" that will form on my driveway. The surface of my driveway is a mixture of - gravel, sand, silt and volcanic ash. It gets almost as hard as concrete in the summer. Looks pretty good after all the dirt has been washed off.
IMG_0210.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Land plane for 45 hp tractor
Looks like the 84’ will be the way to go, thanks

/ Land plane for 45 hp tractor #5  
930ck - most all larger/heavier LPGS will have a way of adjusting the depth of the two cutting blades. I would suggest starting with the blades set about one inch below the side boards. This should allow you to pull thru just about any situation without stalling your tractor.

Better to make multiple passes, at a shallower depth, than stalling out your tractor.

With my two blades set one and a half inches below the side boards - I have one area where I go into 4WD. It's simply easier on all the equipment and the tractor.

I go slow. Never more that three miles per hour. Bad things will happen very fast ( uber large rocks or bedrock, in my case ) and I definitely want to be able to react prior to any damage.

Last edited:
   / Land plane for 45 hp tractor #6  
On the council of a small town and looking at a land plane to maintain dirt roads. Tractor is 2 wheel drive and was wondering if an 84” wide one would be the right width ? I think a 96 “ would be way to much for the tractor. Thanks
I use my 64 horsepower Kubota M6040 to pull it. It performs excellently on my mile-long gravel driveway. I've adjusted it with the two blades positioned one and a half inches below the side boards. When I need to fix potholes, ruts, and similar issues, I utilize the scarifiers. It's incredibly straightforward to use - just hook it up and drag this implement.