Kubota ZD-1211-72 first impressions

/ Kubota ZD-1211-72 first impressions #1  

Hay Dude

Super Star Member
Tractor
Challenger MT655E, Massey Ferguson 7495, Challenger MT535B, Krone 4x4 XC baler, Kubota F3680 & ZD331 Ram 5500 Cummins 4x4, IH 7500 4x4 dump truck, Kaufman 35’ tandem 19 ton trailer, John Deere CX-15
So I’ve got a whopping 10 hours on the ZD-1211-72 I just bought 3 weeks ago. Been raining so much, we can barely get lawns cut.

A few initial observations:

1. I am almost shocked at the improvement in handling & uphill traction. My old ZD-331 had a lot of play in the controls from nearly 3,000 hours. New machine is tight and very responsive. It also seems like the new tire & rim set up helps with traction? I don’t believe it myself, but I ran it on a very steep hill we cut are only lost traction a few times. I can’t really explain any other reasons except tires and precision of the newer controls. The ZD-331 had new tires but could not climb descend hills like the newer one. Maybe the 1211 is lighter and doesn’t slide as easily?

2. Didn’t really cut too much heavy grass, so I can’t comment on power, but the engine definitely bogs down more when blades are initially turned on. This could also be because engine isn’t broken in yet and deck belt real tight. Going uphill, I could notice some loss of power, but not enough to complain about. What I need to make a final call is uphill and tall grass.

3. I like the new layout for the anti-scalp wheels. Back wheels are much better reinforced than ZD-331. Comfort is greatly improved with new operators seat. I felt fine after extended seat time yesterday. I like the deeper pocket for holding cell phone or a drink. I actually prefer the old analog gauges on the 331

4. The PTO engage lever feels cheap compared to old unit. Real disappointed Kubota doesn’t include 12V charger outlet. This should be standard equipment in 2024. Jury still out with me on the dual tanks being connected. I think they eliminated the separate tanks switch valve to save production costs. Weird how the machine takes it’s fuel from both tanks together, yet you fill them separately. What’s the point of 2 tanks? Just refilling from either side easier I guess? I guess it’s also to balance the weight and streamline the machine.

I’ll be on it 6-8 more hours today.

Last edited:
   / Kubota ZD-1211-72 first impressions #2  
My in-laws just bought this same one. I have only sat on it so far, started it....I was shocked at how short the seating platform is. My legs are cramped terribly. My Ferris 52" IS800 has way more leg room.

It ain't for tall guys I guess.

The diesel engine sounds just like the one on their 25yo 60" deck Kubota zt.

I can't wait to mow with it. Should cut down times dramatically from my 52" and their 60".

/ Kubota ZD-1211-72 first impressions #3  
Any more thoughts after a couple more weeks? I've decided my Spartan has to go. May not be this summer but....

/ Kubota ZD-1211-72 first impressions
Any more thoughts after a couple more weeks? I've decided my Spartan has to go. May not be this summer but....

Still like it. If you are considering it, I think you’ll be satisfied.
I’d give it an 8.5-9 out of 10.
I’m no Kubota ass-kisser, either like some people. :rolleyes:
If I didn’t like it, I’d tell you.

/ Kubota ZD-1211-72 first impressions #5  
I'd test run a ferris before I'd buy another mower of any type. Ferris is the perfect mower imo.

Ferris is a great mower. Better than Kubota, but they are extremely expensive. Their diesel zero turn is pushing $40,000.

something sorely lacking on the Kubota 1211-72 is a charging outlet for cell phone.
Yeah,,,, I know it sounds laughable, but when you run a business in todays world, a dead cell phone is a big problem.
They give you a charging outlet with a new 1611, but not a 1211.

Stupid.

/ Kubota ZD-1211-72 first impressions #9  
I can live without a $5,000 charging outlet!
Seriously though, it really should have one. I will likely add one when I install some led lighting. Once a year or so I get caught mowing in the dark.

/ Kubota ZD-1211-72 first impressions #10  
So the cost isn't necessarily because Ferris likes their stuff more than 'Bota, it's because they're saddled with regulations from the federal government because they aren't playing the 24.8hp game...the Ferris is a full 48hp Cat engine and therefore running a dpf and maybe more.

Thanks federal government.