Just started my first homebrew!!!

/ Just started my first homebrew!!! #1  

archerynut

Platinum Member
Tractor
Looking again
Wanted to see if there are other home brewers here on TBN. Just started an English Brown Ale extract kit today. Got it in the fermenter now and the long waiting process begins. I am starting with one of the beginner kits from a local home brewing store. It seemed complicated from just reading the directions but it went easier than expected. Some questions though: what tips or hints can any of you give the novice home brewer? What are some good online resources ? What are some good quality kits to try and what can I expect for quality from these kits?

Thanks

/ Just started my first homebrew!!! #2  
My sister and BIL do a little homebrew from time to time. The one hint I would have is use the right kind of yeast. A little old lady gave them some of her champagne yeast, and told them she always used it on her beer. After all the caps blew off their bottles, they found out she bottled hers in Mason jars. The screw down lids held them in place, even with the extra yeast. Good luck with your kit.

Larro

/ Just started my first homebrew!!! #3  
Guess I will be following this thread since I also got some home brewing equipment as a Christmas gift. Mine will be taken a step further than just beer.

/ Just started my first homebrew!!! #4  
Best tip I got - SANITARY. Especially the old recycled bottles you'll use! Keeping everything scrupulously clean is a pain but the results are worth it.

- Jay

/ Just started my first homebrew!!! #5  
Best tip I got - SANITARY. Especially the old recycled bottles you'll use! Keeping everything scrupulously clean is a pain but the results are worth it.

- Jay
I used to brew small time. About 6 gallons at a time.
There are 6 ingredients to good beer:
Grain
Hops
Yeast
Water
Knowledge
Time

As Jay wrote - keep it clean.

Grain - I found buying a good malt and adding some crushed grain gave me the best results.

Hops - go with fresh if you can

Yeast - match your yeast to your brew don't try to brew a top fermenting ale with lager yeast.

Water - often overlooked is checking the quality of your water. I was lucky - our city water produced a great beer

Knowledge - What are your objectives? Brewing poor beer is just as easy as brewing good beer. My objective was to brew a good stout. You'll probably brew better beer if you perfect a style before trying to brew every type.

Time - I could knock out 12 gallons of lager for a "party" in a month. Some of best and strongest stouts took a year and more.

And watch your temps!

Please pass a virtual beer around when your first batch is done.

/edit - one other thing - get "flippies", a ceramic top held by a bail,
10565299t.jpg

their are a few brands of commercial beer that come in large flippies. 750ml and 1 liter sizes used to be a nice drink.

Last edited:
   / Just started my first homebrew!!! #6  
i"v been making beer for a few years now. i use the "brew house" brand made by R J SPAGNOLS . Easy to make , resulting in a great beer! Twice as good at half the price!

/ Just started my first homebrew!!! #7  
Sanitation Sanitation Sanitation.

I have been using Starsan for sanitation. I keep a large Tupperware container full of Starsan mixture and use this to sanitize a measuring cup, thermometers, hydrometers, etc. We keep Starsan in a spray bottle in the kitchen that we use every day to clean counters and range. Using the spray bottle to sanitize large items like fermentation bucket and lid is real handy.

I am doing extract like you because I don't have space to do full grain.

If you have not read John J. Palmer's "How to brew" you need to get the book and start reading. Palmer has far more information than I am likely ever going to need for one of my brews but the book is nice to have on hand when you have a question/problem.

Maintaining temperature both during brewing, cooling the wort to pitch the yeast and when fermenting is critical. Use a good instant read and/or mercury thermometer. I use both to make sure that both thermometers are accurate. I have had nothing but bad luck with the electric thermometers and no longer trust them. I almost messed up a brew using one of these thermometers but I used a mercury thermometer which kept me from overheating the wort. I danged near blew up a tractor tire yesterday when filling it with air because the first air gauge I was using was off by 30-40 PSI! Thankfully, I figured something was wrong and tested the tire with a couple other air gauges before something bad happened. With beer, a bad temperature would just give you bad beer but bad beer be bad. :laughing: I have multiple thermometers, air gauges and multi testers. :D

To cool the wort, I have been using a water bath in the bath tub, the front porch in cold weather, and an ice machine my wifey got to help with pain after surgery. When using a water bath, I freeze 1 quart bottles of water to keep the water cool. In cool weather, I will fill a plastic storage container on the porch to help cool the wort.

When fermenting I have found I have to brew in late fall, winter, and early spring to keep the temperature down when fermenting. If the temperature is getting to high when fermenting, the five gallon bucket goes into the bathtub to sit in a water bath to help control the heat. I do not transfer the beer from the fermenting bucket to a carboy. I have left the beer in the five gallon bucket for as long as a month before bottling and not had a problem. The beers I have been making are taking about a week to complete fermentation.

I have been using 22oz bottles since it takes fewer bottles to bottle the batch compared to 12 oz bottles. I do use 12 oz bottles to make sure I can bottle as much of the batch as I can. To sanitize the bottles, I use our dishwasher which has a sanitize cycle. When I open a bottle, I make sure I rinse out any yeast and then I let the bottle drain and dry before putting it up.

After I had brewed a few batches, I figured it takes 4-5 hours to brew and 3 hours to bottle. Much of the time with brewing and bottling is getting equipment out, cleaning it before and after brewing, and putting the equipment back up. When brewing I have found that I can brew two batches in about 5 hours and I can bottle in 3 hours. It takes about the same amount of time for me to brew/bottle one batch as it does for two.

Later,
Dan

/ Just started my first homebrew!!! #8  
I found bottling goes faster when you use one 5gal bottle
DSCN0013.JPG

A wort chiller is a nice to have. I do a mix of extract and all grain batches; all boils are full gravity. Cooling 5 or 10 gallons of wort really requires the chiller.

Palmer's book is good. I still like Pappazian's books too.

I found an all grain 10gal batch to take around 5 hours from first burner being lit, to everything being put away. In same 5-6 hour range, I can do 20 gallons, if I start an extract batch while I get my mash going. I have done double all grain, but that is a long day... If you organize it right though, you can have another mash starting as soon as you finish your first sparge and start boil.
DSCN0001.JPG

If you have not read John J. Palmer's "How to brew" you need to get the book and start reading. Palmer has far more information than I am likely ever going to need for one of my brews but the book is nice to have on hand when you have a question/problem.

To cool the wort, I have been using a water bath in the bath tub, the front porch in cold weather, and an ice machine my wifey got to help with pain after surgery. When using a water bath, I freeze 1 quart bottles of water to keep the water cool. In cool weather, I will fill a plastic storage container on the porch to help cool the wort.

When fermenting I have found I have to brew in late fall, winter, and early spring to keep the temperature down when fermenting. If the temperature is getting to high when fermenting, the five gallon bucket goes into the bathtub to sit in a water bath to help control the heat. I do not transfer the beer from the fermenting bucket to a carboy. I have left the beer in the five gallon bucket for as long as a month before bottling and not had a problem. The beers I have been making are taking about a week to complete fermentation.

I have been using 22oz bottles since it takes fewer bottles to bottle the batch compared to 12 oz bottles. I do use 12 oz bottles to make sure I can bottle as much of the batch as I can. To sanitize the bottles, I use our dishwasher which has a sanitize cycle. When I open a bottle, I make sure I rinse out any yeast and then I let the bottle drain and dry before putting it up.

After I had brewed a few batches, I figured it takes 4-5 hours to brew and 3 hours to bottle. Much of the time with brewing and bottling is getting equipment out, cleaning it before and after brewing, and putting the equipment back up. When brewing I have found that I can brew two batches in about 5 hours and I can bottle in 3 hours. It takes about the same amount of time for me to brew/bottle one batch as it does for two.

Later,
Dan

/ Just started my first homebrew!!!
This is some great information. Thanks fellow TBNers.

/ Just started my first homebrew!!! #10  
I found bottling goes faster when you use one 5gal bottle
View attachment 352388

A wort chiller is a nice to have. I do a mix of extract and all grain batches; all boils are full gravity. Cooling 5 or 10 gallons of wort really requires the chiller.

I wish I had five gallon bottles....

But I would need a heck of a beer fridge. Right now I have at least 5-6 beers in bottles. A 5-6 kegerator is too expensive, is too big and would have to go in the dining room which does not make the wifey happy! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

I seem to be constitutionally unable to waste water. The idea of using a wort chiller that uses water to just cool something before going down the drain is something I cannot seem to do. :rolleyes::laughing::laughing::laughing: This is not really logical since we have a very productive well that has the same temperature year round and the actual water used would be minimal, but danged, it I just can't do it. :confused3::D:D:D If we were in the city I would use city water! :confused3::rolleyes: I know it is not logical. :D:D:D What I do to chill the water is to chill a few gallons of water and when the wort is finished cooking, I pour it in the five gallon bucket along with the remaining chilled water to get five gallons. This really drops the temperature. Unfortunately, we have two of these ice bath dohickeys from the wifey's shoulder surgeries. You fill them with ice and water which is then pumped to a "harness" that fits on the shoulder to distribute cold water. The "harness" will strap on the five gallon bucket and this cools the wort pretty well especially if it is cold outside. Cooling the wort is not my biggest problem. Keeping the fermenting at a given temperature is a big problem for me if we have warm weather. This limits me to making beer to the late fall, winter, and early spring.

I have thought about sanitizing some gallon zip lock backs, filling them with water and freezing them so they could both cool down the wort and help get to five gallons but I have not done this yet.

Later,
Dan