Is there a “Power Trac Secret Society Club?”

/ Is there a “Power Trac Secret Society Club?” #11  
Better yet, make someone try and start a Robbins Subaru below 20 degrees Fahrenheit, that's good for some laughs!
It is really not bad if you know how to use a choke. It seems with todays cars, trucks and fuel injected lawn equipment, a lot of people don't know what the other knob is for.

/ Is there a “Power Trac Secret Society Club?” #12  
It is really not bad if you know how to use a choke. It seems with todays cars, trucks and fuel injected lawn equipment, a lot of people don't know what the other knob is for.
I thought the other knob was there to hold your beer for you. :unsure: :giggle:

/ Is there a “Power Trac Secret Society Club?” #13  
I know how to use a choke, seems the spark is not very hot on the 425 with Robin engine. They make a hotter coil to increase the spark, but just may live with the limitation. Once I finish my building it lives in. The wood stove will be run to warm things up prior to use. But, if you are so sure you can start my 425 when below 30, I will be more than happy to learn from you what I am doing wrong.

/ Is there a “Power Trac Secret Society Club?” #14  
FWIW I went out and test started mine ahead of a big snow that we're expecting. I have the Koehler CH-750 in mine. Kinda cantankerous to start when subzero cold, but is was a fairly balmy 25F out. Got it started OK then just kinda seemed to run poorly. Fiddled with levers, ran the hydraulic around, nothing seemed to help. Then I noticed that I had mentally reversed which lever was the choke and which was the throttle like a doofus... 🦃

All good after that! So I think the PTSC secret handshake should involve knowing which lever is which. 🤝

/ Is there a “Power Trac Secret Society Club?” #15  
FWIW I went out and test started mine ahead of a big snow that we're expecting. I have the Koehler CH-750 in mine. Kinda cantankerous to start when subzero cold, but is was a fairly balmy 25F out. Got it started OK then just kinda seemed to run poorly. Fiddled with levers, ran the hydraulic around, nothing seemed to help. Then I noticed that I had mentally reversed which lever was the choke and which was the throttle like a doofus... 🦃

All good after that! So I think the PTSC secret handshake should involve knowing which lever is which. 🤝
Mine are labeled, not sure what year mine is as I bought it used. The left is throttle and the right is chock. Down being max throttle and max closed choke. Funny, today mine started right up, of course it was 60f today.

/ Is there a “Power Trac Secret Society Club?” #16  
My choke and throttle cables are sitting on my back steps, so I'll be shoveling tomorrow. 😬

/ Is there a “Power Trac Secret Society Club?” #17  
My choke and throttle cables are sitting on my back steps, so I'll be shoveling tomorrow. 😬
If it was cold enough to snow here, and we got enough that needed to be moved, regardless where my cables are, I would be shoveling. My PT does not like the cold. 5040 doesn't live close enough to get it started for me either.

Thankfully, we don't get any snow worth mentioning.

/ Is there a “Power Trac Secret Society Club?” #18  
The coldest I can remember starting my 2001 PT425 with the Kohler CH25 is around -5F. I gave it a quick shot of starting fluid and off she went.

My cables got frozen up with rust or dirt in late December. So I removed them and took them inside and spent a couple weeks with them hanging in my basement while lube slowly crept into them. Then is got cold enough to that I don't want to put them back on until spring. We're supposed to get around a foot of snow today, so I may regret that, but really, all I have to do is drive the Suburban up and down the drive 5-6 times and it'll pack it all down.

/ Is there a “Power Trac Secret Society Club?”
If it was cold enough to snow here, and we got enough that needed to be moved, regardless where my cables are, I would be shoveling. My PT does not like the cold. 5040 doesn't live close enough to get it started for me either.

Thankfully, we don't get any snow worth mentioning.

The 425 I had with the Subaru engine was a major disappointment when I found out how hard it is to start in cold weather. Looking back now, what I would’ve done was had some kind of a heater on it 24/7.

/ Is there a “Power Trac Secret Society Club?” #20  
The 425 I had with the Subaru engine was a major disappointment when I found out how hard it is to start in cold weather. Looking back now, what I would’ve done was had some kind of a heater on it 24/7.
I have yet to have a task that I absolutely needed the 425. I have 2 other tractors, none with fel mounted. I have a fel for the Deutz, but it needs some work on the cylinders, I will get to it in due time. Most of my tasks can be handles with three point attachments. I will eventually solve the cold start problem. It may take an engine replacement. I will just schedule PT tasks around the warmer weather. Maybe living in an enclosed building will help it too. I knew about this problem when I bought it, so not disappointed. When I solve it, I will post the solution.