Is it time to consider electric?

/ Is it time to consider electric? #171  
The Makita aftermarket batteries I have gotten were not very good.

I am a big fan of electric (battery) mowers but when you need 6 batteries, $500 each does hurt. Almost makes sense to just buy a second mower and have spare parts. I did that for some of my previous battery mowers.

I now have a Makita self propelled battery walk behind mower and love it. No hearing protection really needed. I need 6 batteries to do the 1.5 - 2 (?) acres that I use it on but at $50 each for the real ones, it is not so bad. It is nice that it takes the batteries my tools use so I get more bang for my buck. But comparing what a walk behind needs vs a zero turn is definitely an apples to oranges comparison.

/ Is it time to consider electric? #172  
Remember the construction company that bought CASE Electric backhoes, then they had to buy huge diesel generators to charge them all night.

I know someone has the picture.
The vast majority of the US electrical grid does not support 480 three phase. The three phase 480 is found mainly in industrial complexes in the US.

It was probably thousands of dollars cheaper for the company to purchase a generator than pay for upgrading the electrical service to 480 three phase.

Last edited:
   / Is it time to consider electric? #173  
And I'll have there zero turn in the next few weeks. They make a regular garden tractor, walk behind and 2 zero steer venisons.
And an ice auger!

/ Is it time to consider electric? #174  
And an ice auger!

Hmm, sounds great, but don't let the battery get too cold before using it. Lithium batteries lose performance below 32F...

All the best,

Peter

/ Is it time to consider electric? #175  
Hmm, sounds great, but don't let the battery get too cold before using it. Lithium batteries lose performance below 32F...

All the best,

Peter
People that have battery augers say to put the batteries in a soft-sided lunch cooler if the temps drop below 25ish and maybe toss in a hand warmer. That's about it.

/ Is it time to consider electric? #176  
People that have battery augers say to put the batteries in a soft-sided lunch cooler if the temps drop below 25ish and maybe toss in a hand warmer. That's about it.
Or make sure your battery is larger than you need. I thought everyone has been doing this for decades who use batteries in cooler temps.

/ Is it time to consider electric? #178  
Wait a minute. I have never heard such brazen statements. My God next thing one knows, you two will be advocating for personal accountability and responsibility. :D:cool:

/ Is it time to consider electric? #180  
I will say, I have 5-6 different ice augers. Had a gas one for many years. Rarely used it. First, ice was never that thick, rarely over 8". Second, seemed to never failed to smell like gasoline in my gear, no matter how careful I was. I've been out with a few folks that at first used 18V drills adapted to auger bits, then bought real battery operated augers. They seem to work just fine and less hassle.