IMHO THIS TRACTOR PUTS JD TO SHAME!

/ IMHO THIS TRACTOR PUTS JD TO SHAME! #51  
Yes, you don't have payroll for a computer. We are automating ourselves to hell.

/ IMHO THIS TRACTOR PUTS JD TO SHAME! #52  
Pretty sweet and slick machines.
In 10 years the used models will start making it out my way. 🤣
Speaking of used, you should see what used Fendts sell for. :oops:
So, the warranty will be gone. And you'll inherit a pile of obsolete electronics.
Far as I'm concerned ANY post 4 computer controlled emissions compliant high pressure common rail tractor, with any sort of after treatment (SCR, DEF injection or particulate cannister) will, at some point, require dealer or authorized by the manufacturer) intervention and that encompasses all brands, so it would not be a prudent investment in any unit where the nearest servicing dealer is hundreds of miles away.
Hopefully the tractor will have good diagnostics for consumers and availability of factory and aftermarket parts.

"RIGHT TO REPAIR"?

Will anybody have any interest in providing upgraded computers for 20+ year old machines, when it hits that point? 50+ year old machines?

And then there is that 48 hour warranty. Does that mean that once the warranty has expired, in the middle of hay season, one gets shuffled down the the bottom of the pile for service, as only those with new machines will get any attention from the dealerships?

/ IMHO THIS TRACTOR PUTS JD TO SHAME! #53  
OK, so I'm a little stuck in the mud.

I'm picking up some old Iron. Yellow iron that somehow turned green decades ago?

Some of it is coming to me at scrap metal prices. Perhaps even below scrap prices.

I'm groaning a bit about tracing electronics issues, and have been threatening to simply bypass a bunch of electronics to start them. I don't need seat safety switches, clutch safety switches, brake safety switches, PTO safety switches. I just want the things to actually start.

Now multiply that times 1000!!!

One of my big projects is doing some land leveling for a future workshop. So there is the question about old yellow iron vs new yellow iron. Some of it will just be raw power and weight to dig out some large stumps and dig into a bank. Yet, there will also be getting a building site level and flat. I could imagine that if I had a $1 Million machine, I could program in a grading plane, and have it end up with something very close. Yet, that is a lot of money when a $3,000 machine may do the job. How much seat time would that $1 Million save?

Maybe I need joystick controls???

/ IMHO THIS TRACTOR PUTS JD TO SHAME! #54  
Yes, you don't have payroll for a computer. We are automating ourselves to hell.
The problem is quite easy, there are not easy to get workers into farming, it's not a very profitable business so doing more with fewer people is the only way. Here in Europe we had a long period with East European workers that worked for low pay and in many cases were farmworkers, but skilled workers will after a period find better paid work, and now there is a big shortage of workers in farming.

It has been so bad that they have flown in workers from Asia for the harvesting season.

/ IMHO THIS TRACTOR PUTS JD TO SHAME! #55  
The electronics are not that advanced, I'm quite sure somebody will design replacements, electronics are not magical, and many younger people have both mechanical and electrical skills.

/ IMHO THIS TRACTOR PUTS JD TO SHAME! #56  
The lack of unskilled labor at an affordable cost is a problem we created; but, most of our problems are of our own volition

/ IMHO THIS TRACTOR PUTS JD TO SHAME! #57  
The lack of unskilled labor at an affordable cost is a problem we created; but, most of our problems are of our own volition
Is it a problem or is it a sign of a society that has given people more choices? We have always innovated to get rid of work, to do more productive and important jobs, to be lazy is a good thing for development. I do believe farming will be highly automated, it's probably the only way forward.

/ IMHO THIS TRACTOR PUTS JD TO SHAME! #58  
Pretty sweet and slick machines.

So, the warranty will be gone. And you'll inherit a pile of obsolete electronics.

The warranty may be gone, but it’ll be gone on any other brand of farm tractor, too. 🤷‍♂️

In terms of “obsolete electronics” wouldn’t you rather buy a super high quality farm tractor out of warranty than an average quality farm tractor out of warranty? And why would the electronics be “obsolete”?

Like what’s your point? 🤷‍♂️
You think it’s better to buy a junky brand and hope it holds up better than a quality brand?

Hopefully the tractor will have good diagnostics for consumers and availability of factory and aftermarket parts.

……

So far it has been excellent. Fendt is a 100 year old German company now owned by an American company AGCO, who is very well supported.

Why wouldn’t it have any less support that the other biggies like CNH or Deere? I might give Deere the nod on being best for parts support, but AGCO has been fine for me so far.

/ IMHO THIS TRACTOR PUTS JD TO SHAME! #59  
Is it a problem or is it a sign of a society that has given people more choices? We have always innovated to get rid of work, to do more productive and important jobs, to be lazy is a good thing for development. I do believe farming will be highly automated, it's probably the only way forward.

What happens when laborers are obsolete?

/ IMHO THIS TRACTOR PUTS JD TO SHAME! #60  
My dad's foreign made David Bradley tractor says CASE on the hood. Some parts are impossible to find.