I need a Plasma cutter ASAP

/ I need a Plasma cutter ASAP #1  

_RaT_

Tractor
Kioti 3510-SE HST
I have not had much time to investigate into a plasma cutter but have a need for one right now on a construction job I am doing. I have a bunch of 1/2" plate to cut. Any recommendations? I looked into the Miller 625. Thanks in advance.

/ I need a Plasma cutter ASAP #2  
I can only offer this.. Get one rated 'well' for your job. Many units have a 'cut' and 'sever' rating. the 'sever' is the absolute max it will cut.. and the cut quality will be lower than the 'cut' rating.

In other words.. a unit that 'cuts' 3/8 and sever's 1/2 will not be as good as one that cuts 1/2 etc.

Also.. try to find a unit that offers a 'drag tip'.. that lets you keep the tip in contact with the surface.. vs hovering the gun over surface of the work.

Soundguy

/ I need a Plasma cutter ASAP #3  
If there is a dealer in your area look at Hypertherm. They are somewhat more expensive than the competition but are supposed to the plasma cutting leader:

http://www.hypertherm.com/

/ I need a Plasma cutter ASAP #4  
Rat, I've been using my Miller 375 Spectrum quite a bit for over a year now and have only changed out the consumables one time (after I cut a rusted 2" stainless steel ball off the end of my receiver hitch on my pickup truck!!! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif )

If you get the Miller 625, you will be one happy man! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I ordered mine direct from www.cyberweld.com and it was running 48 hrs later in my barn. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ I need a Plasma cutter ASAP #5  
The Miller or the Hypertherm. Both are good units. Miller makes the electronics for Hypertherm while Hypertherm makes the torches for Miller. Get at least the Miller 625 or the Hypertherm equivalent good for 1/2" rated.

You will also need a good clean and dry air source with least 60-90 psi continuous. A small portable compressor may not be big enough for either of the above units.

/ I need a Plasma cutter ASAP #6  
MadReferre hit the nail on the head.

You will need a first class 220 volt air compressor for sure and a good air drying system.

I was going to get the 625 myself, but my air compressor was not big enough to handle it and I did not want to run a new 220 volt line for a new one.

/ I need a Plasma cutter ASAP
Thanks you guys, you all helped and re-enforced much of what I have learned in a few days. Either the Miller 625 or the Hypertherm Powermax 600 seem to fit the requirements.

/ I need a Plasma cutter ASAP #8  
Hiya RaT, how goes it -

Just a little "propoganda" from the Miller website:

<font color="blue"> Cutting Capability:

Determine the type and thickness of metal you need
to cut and your desired speed. Then compare your needs
to product specifications. Miller qualifies its cutting
capabilities by a rated cutting capacity of 10 in. per minute.
You can increase your speed by using a machine with
more amperage power. For example, a Spectrum 375
cuts 3/8 in. steel at 10 in/min.; a Spectrum 2050 can cut
that same material at 35 in./min.; and a Spectrum 1000
can cut the material at 75 in./min. </font>

At the risk of telling you something you already know, just bear in mind that the 625 is rated at 1/2", so will, according to Miller, cut 1/2" steel at 10 in. per minute. Also, it has a 50% duty cycle, so you'd have to let it "rest" from time to time. If you were doing nothing but cutting 1/2" steel all day, every day, I'd say to go bigger. If you just want to cut a heck of a lot faster than a sawzall will cut, the 625 should be fine. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

John

Oops - gotta add: I know a lot of guys who might be thinking "just cut it with a torch, you don't need one of them new-fangled things". Oxy-acetylene has been getting the job done for a long, long time - but I bought one of them new-fangled things anyway. Mine's a Miller 3080, rated 7/8" I think - yep, it rocks; I can write my name in 1/4". /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ I need a Plasma cutter ASAP
OXY/Acetylene is getting pricey and only cuts ferrous metal. I like what I have seen with the plasma cutting and as I understand, it will cut anything that conducts. I just got rid of my gas cutting set a few months back. Sold it for the price of the bottles. A 50% duty cycle is fine. Based on 10 minutes, a 50% duty cycle lets me cut 5 minutes and cool for 5 minutes.

/ I need a Plasma cutter ASAP #10  
Just be careful when using the plasma cutter to avoid getting electrocuted, esepecially if you are using it outdoors (wet damp rainy) as there is allot more power there when its activated than on a normal shop weldig unit.