Hydraulic Cylinder Size Advice

/ Hydraulic Cylinder Size Advice #1  

kneedeep

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3510 & 8560
I have a Taylor 4 row No-till planter just picked up and have a issue with the mechanism that closes the seed and fertilizer gates when lifted to stop seed and fertilizer from falling out when turning or transporting loaded drill, The arm that actually opens and closes the gate has lots of slop at the pivot where the toplink attached. I have tried to adjust it but do to all the movement in the arm, the gate either opens too much or not at all.

I need to attach a small cylinder to simply open and close the gates and bypass the original mechanism. The plate only moves about 4" to 5" to accomplish the movement. Size of opening is adjusted by set screws on each hopper so only the in and out from a cylinder is needed.

Where can I find a small cylinder to hook to my remotes to do this? Any other suggestions as to opening and closing the gates?

I think a small 2 way cylinder will work.

CAM00088.jpguntitled.png

/ Hydraulic Cylinder Size Advice #2  
Surplus center has several cylinders in the stroke range you are looking for (5.9" stroke). Tractor Supply also has some small 8" stroke cylinders.

Surplus Center

/ Hydraulic Cylinder Size Advice #3  
Thanks for that link! It actually helped me out with a question I had on another thread.

/ Hydraulic Cylinder Size Advice
Just ordered a small 1" x 4" cylinder, hoses and male ends for $117 and free shipping!

Be in business after a little fab work on amount.

:thumbsup:

/ Hydraulic Cylinder Size Advice
All Hooked up and operational! :thumbsup:
Works perfect, never would have got the original to adjust to plant right.

Original setup
Taylor planter 2.jpg

New modern retrofit
Seed Gate 1.jpg
Seed Gate.jpg