HST Engine RPM

/ HST Engine RPM #1  

TWD

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota M59
Is it best to use the RPM that gets the job done or up the RPMS for all work?

Just curious what everyone does to determine the correct RPM for their HST tractor.

/ HST Engine RPM #2  
Wow. Tough to answer.

Some tools require a certian RPM to operate properly, like a rotary mower. You need to run the engine RPM to run at the tractor spec for 540rpm on the PTO.

For all of my tractors, for general work, I just run them at high enough RPM that they do not lug. lug=bad.

/ HST Engine RPM #3  
I recommend that to do loader work that you run in the high teens to low 2000 for good hydraulic flow.

To keep the engine within a good power band for PTO work about 2/3rds to 3/4 throttle for good torque and not wasting fuel. To work at optimum full throttle will get the job done a bit faster.

/ HST Engine RPM #4  
i like to run mine above 1700 to get good hst performance (3520). anything less and the motor seems to labor too much.

/ HST Engine RPM #5  
This is an interesting question. For months I ran mine at lower RPMs,1300 so as to get away from the jumpiness or hydraulic sensitivity, being a new operator. I was advised by a pro to get the engine up to 2000RPM and to get used to operating at proper hydraulic pressure. This is exactly what I did and today I enjoy the excellent capability my backhoe provides so, my two cents worth is rev your engine up a bit and you will appreciate your machine accordingly
Dan

/ HST Engine RPM
When I was renting they told me anytime I used the BH to use 2600RPM (this was on a New Holland) which was where the line was on the gauge, I think 3000 was red line. I kept it between 2100 - 2600 when doing FEL work too.

I was just curious how everyone determined it, and if you were moving lots of dirt if you varied your RPM or just set-and-forget like I was doing.

/ HST Engine RPM #7  
just wondering - Why is lug so bad? I would guess it is hard on the bearing around the shaft?

/ HST Engine RPM #10  
I have read here on TBN a while ago that on some HST tractors they recommend running the engine at about 1800-2000rpm minimum otherwise cavitation can occur in the HST pump. That can result in premature pump failure. Any merit to that concern??? I don't remember the specific brand that was mentioned in the thread.