Hobart Airforce 400 ????

/ Hobart Airforce 400 ???? #1  

mcd176

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800HD / Kubota B2150
I am thinking of pulling the pin with my buddy and going half on a Hobart Airforce 400 Plasma cutter, does anyone have any expirience with them? Northern Tool has them on sale with free shipping.

FREE SHIPPING — Hobart AirForce 400 Plasma Cutter — 27 Amp, Model# 500474 | Plasma Cutters | Northern Tool + Equipment

I think this one would be perfect for my needs considering most of my projects that I want to build will be with 1/4" plate and sometime 3/8"

Let me know if I am on the right track.

-Mike

/ Hobart Airforce 400 ???? #2  
I've got a Miller Spectrum 375. It is 28 amps. Cuts 1/4 well. 3/8 ok, and won't really cut 1/2. I know that because I tried cutting some W8x40 beam which is .505 inches thick on the flats, and all I did was make a mess. Frankly, I would not mind moving up to a 60 amp cutter, then for the very few times I wanted to cut the 1/2 inch I could.

Wayne

/ Hobart Airforce 400 ???? #3  
Have that same one you are looking at and love it. Worth the money!!!
I have cut some large (3/4") nuts off with it - took a few passes but did it a lot easier than getting out the oxy kit. If you can stay steady (I sometimes use a wood template - works fine if you run the gun against it because the nozzle is a bit away from the wood so it does not burn) you can cut anything you can design. I find it very handy around the house/farm

/ Hobart Airforce 400 ???? #4  
Have you considered a HyperTherm plasma cutter. They are made in New Hampshire (American made....American jobs) very good quality. The Powermax 30 is around the same price range as the Hobart. Just thought you might want to consider HyperTherm.

/ Hobart Airforce 400 ???? #5  
Have you considered a HyperTherm plasma cutter. They are made in New Hampshire (American made....American jobs) very good quality. The Powermax 30 is around the same price range as the Hobart. Just thought you might want to consider HyperTherm.

I haven't checke them out but it's good to know that they are Made in the USA.