Help me choose a 7mm-08 Youth Rifle for my Grandson

/ Help me choose a 7mm-08 Youth Rifle for my Grandson #31  
airbiscuit, caliber selection is to a great degree personal preference. I like the 7mm/08 but it is not magic. I think you will be pleased with its perfromance.

I do not but much store in what gun dealers yap about. I hope the accuracy claims pan out. If you do not reload, trying a couple of different factory loads should get you a decent choice for hunting. Ignore the crap on forums and gun rags. If you can consistently put 5 rounds in 1.5-2" at 100 yards you will get a deer every time. Sub MOA is nice but not needed. Good enough is good enough.

I would buy a spare mag not for hunting. Your boy should never need more than two shots...and never a whole magazine worth of shots. A spare Mag is nice if the original gets lost or starts to not feed properly. You do not want to signal to a new hunter that you need a lot of shots.

Depending on the build of your son, a 7mm/08 can still be a handful recoil wise in a light rifle. If it hurts to shoot it, he is likely to develop a flinch so think about reduced recoil ammunition if you do not reload. Here is some data...7mm08 is discussed.

/ Help me choose a 7mm-08 Youth Rifle for my Grandson
He shot a deer this season with his dad's 7mm-08 - 1 shot.

/ Help me choose a 7mm-08 Youth Rifle for my Grandson #33  
airbiscuit, caliber selection is to a great degree personal preference. I like the 7mm/08 but it is not magic. I think you will be pleased with its perfromance.
Cartridge... 7mm-08 is the cartridge.

Cartridge selection is to a great degree personal preference. To a point, caliber is. I like 30 caliber (0.308), and tend to shoot 308Win, 30-06, and 300 Savage, in that order. I picked those because I like those particular cartridges and for 308Win and 30-06, how easy they are to reload.

/ Help me choose a 7mm-08 Youth Rifle for my Grandson #34  
Didn't read every comment; so maybe I missed it; but I didn't see a CVA Cascade mentioned. I believe they have a removable spacer; so think more of a small adult rifle; but with a 0.75" spacer you can remove. From everything I've seen and heard, they are fine rifles. Keep in mind, an 11 y/o might be small; but will probably be grown man sized in 3 or 4 years. Cascade can grow with him; and I don't think it's a throw away rifle once he gets serious.

Savage Axis: plain feels cheap; triggers just fine; everything about them screams spend $50-100 more, and get something nicer (I know cause I made this mistake)

Ruger American: go with the predator for threaded barrel, shorter barrel; good quality

Edit: confirmed, yes, removable spacer; and threaded barrel; 4 round detachable box mag, flush fit CASCADE Cerakote/Blued/Veil Camo — 7mm-08 – CVA

/ Help me choose a 7mm-08 Youth Rifle for my Grandson #35  
Mossberg just came out with a youth model patriot with adjustable stock in 7mm-o8

/ Help me choose a 7mm-08 Youth Rifle for my Grandson #36  
My grandson will be 12 next deer season. His Dad has a 7mm-08 Browning A-bolt. This season and last, he used a Ruger 44 Carbine (great gun). It's time for him to have his own, and it will be a 7mm-08 because it is a great caliber and the simplicity of having the same caliber as his dad. Here's what's on my radar.

Browning AB3 Micro Composite (I like Browning Quality)
Ruger American Compact (nice youth dimensions, decent action)
Savage Apex (stock adjustable, youth - adult)
Savage Axis II Compact (Cheap and good shooting, but stiff action)
Tikka T3x Lite Compact (stock adjustable, youth - adult, felt plasiicy and didn't feel the love for the money)

Kind of ruled out :
Weatherby (no detachable magazine)
Mossberg (meh)

So, please share your words of wisdom.
If this is truly expected to be a lifetime rifle, Forget about an adjustable stock.
Buy the rifle for the action and barrel. Restock as needed for growth. The original stock can be shortened to meet present needs, add a recoil pad in a year or two. Then , when the time comes , fit a fine woode stock that will make a young man proud to carry. It's a continuous gift!