Gas log splitter or 3PH?

/ Gas log splitter or 3PH? #31  
Randy, I like the idea of the Super Splitter it is about time they worked to improve the old style stand alone. Would it work with a four way? I had not seen this type of splitter before, Thanks for sharing!;)

/ Gas log splitter or 3PH? #32  
Youare - I agree ,nice machine , I could never go back to a 'old fashioned' splitter !

mousefield - knock the bucket off, make up a wedge for the hoe, pick the round,swing over the pile , give it a squeeze and there you are, never have to get off your butt !

/ Gas log splitter or 3PH? #34  
Thanks for the clarification Cowpatty.
Yours truly,
cupcake
More importantly, are you willing to come to terms with the fact your "it can't be" position is a few pounds shy of reconcilable?

//greg//

/ Gas log splitter or 3PH? #35  
More importantly, are you willing to come to terms with the fact your "it can't be" position is a few pounds shy of reconcilable?

//greg//

You know... this topic has been researched and there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer, only personal stories about a particular tractor.

In Minnesota it would be illegal to have an hour meter that does not reflect clock hours.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=325E.166

There is a Hobbs-type meter that measures "on" time:

Hobbs meter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and a Tach Timer:

Tach Timer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Then there is this post from Net Tractor Talk:

"My local Kubota dealer said the new Kubota hour meter read with the key on, while many older tractors/equipment hour meters were set to register at or near operating rpms. My snow cats seem to register hours much slower than my new Kubota. This info came to light when I had to delay my hydraulic oil change for lack of parts. The dealer said with the newer hour meters they tend to show more operating hours than older style hour meters on equipment and to not worry about the extra 10 hours of use on the break in hydraulic oil in the L39."

It appears to me that there is more than one possibility and that an alternate viewpoint is fully reconcilable. Then the question arises if others are willing to drop the condescending attitude and accept a coexistent conclusion.

/ Gas log splitter or 3PH? #36  
Then let me restate my suggestion. Record the hours and tenths on all your Kubotas. Start all the engines and let them IDLE for two hours. At the end of the two hours, record what's on each hour meter. Give us an honest reporting here, and actually join the group who have shared "personal stories about a particular tractor".

//greg//

/ Gas log splitter or 3PH? #37  
I spent a lot of time researching log splitters before I got mine about 2 weeks ago.
It's a 16 Ton Ramsplitter that runs of my power beyond.
When it comes to speed, I'm the limiting factor, not the cycle time.
I only use this thing about 2 hours at a time, because after that I get bored and my back gets sore. In that amount of time, I get a good amount of wood split and I don't really burn that much fuel. I was actually impressed with how little fuel I did burn.
I like the sound of a diesel engine running at just over idle, but I don't care for the sounds of a lawnmower engine screaming.
I figured, I have a tractor now, I might as well use it.

TommyJD790

/ Gas log splitter or 3PH? #38  
Then let me restate my suggestion. Record the hours and tenths on all your Kubotas. Start all the engines and let them IDLE for two hours. At the end of the two hours, record what's on each hour meter. Give us an honest reporting here, and actually join the group who have shared "personal stories about a particular tractor".

//greg//

I'm not going to put six clock hours on my tractors to resolve this little issue. Eight counting a John Deere 125 mower.

Tell you what I will do. I'll start a threat in the General Owning/Operating section and see what others have found. That will get the topic out of this thread where it is inappropriate and onto another forum that it is more likely to get informed responses.

OK - here is the new thread. There is already some information posted. Now this thread can go back to splitters.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/owning-operating/164597-hour-meter-operation.html

Last edited:
   / Gas log splitter or 3PH? #39  
Stand alone splitter came before the tractor. Splitter is close to 30 years old with a Honda motor. Change the oil, clean a jet now and then, good to go. One or two hours on the splitter is enough for me. Save the rest of the wood for another day. ( my back is older than the splitter ) My splitter was almost $ 3000.00 way back then. With the tractor and the money a bit tight now days I'd go with the less expensive tractor mount as I burn about 4-5 cords and only sell a few cords. I like my stand alone splitter and glade I have it but I don't sell as much firewood like when I bought it all those years ago.