Garage/Workshop Critique

/ Garage/Workshop Critique #1  

fenneran

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L2900
Guys,

I have been mulling over a design for a garage/workshop for a while. It looks like it may become possible to build it this year, so I would like your opinions/criticisms/suggestions. This is a once-in-a-lifetime chance to do it right.

The basic idea is to have a two-car garage, with extra space on the side for storage or work area, plus space for a shop. The thought is that if I was working on a big project, the cars could be moved out and I could use whatever space was needed. I have some of the tools shown in the drawing, but not all.

What I would like and very greatly appreciate, is for you all to have a look and tell me what I've missed, what I've got wrong, what I should change, add or delete. I'll attach two version of the drawing: the full view with benches and tools drawn in and one with just electrical fixtures and such. Be brutal and let me know where I'm going to make a mistake. Thanks in advance!

-Frank

shop.jpg

shop-e.jpg

/ Garage/Workshop Critique #2  
First rule: Build it as big as you can afford. 2nd: Find another place for those cars. 3rd: don't store anything inside the building (except building materials) until it's done. Your layout looks good so far....Happy building..............Tom

/ Garage/Workshop Critique #3  
Frank,
It always seems no matter how big you build them you end up wishing they were bigger.

A couple of questions...

What is the style of building? Can you add a second floor for your shop? Or better yet if you have an elevation change on the property can you put the cars under the shop?

My concerns would be that it is difficult to heat a building with garage doors in it. How will you heat the space... Dust from woodworking is explosive to open flame furnaces... Radiant is the best for shops.

The shop will need a dust collection system and I would run the PVC duct for that in the slab along side your 240v outlet for the tablesaw.

I would also suggest framing off a dust-free finishing area for woodworking projects.

It would be cool to have a second floor... Mech shop of the ground level... Welders, tools on the ground, woodworking on the second floor....

See how easy it is for me to spend you money!

Looks good enjoy...

I'm going to start building number 2 this spring... Garage, shop... Then looks like my shop got changed to an in-law apartment.. all 1600 sqft of it that's not an apartment it's a house.

Anyway we changed the building to a 24X48 post and beam barn with a 14ft sidewall. The building has the second floor hung at 10ft and a half loft second floor. We'll have a full foundation under the building and a 22X48 fully enclosed lean-to at foundation grade level. This will house 4 cars.

The building is being built in an area that has a 6 foot elevation change so is would have been like a walk out basement.

16X24 will be the mechanical area for the apt. and 32X24 will be my woodshop....

Last fall we built a little tractor barn for the tractor and mechanical tools...

Regards,
Chris

/ Garage/Workshop Critique #4  
tractor barn pic

Attachments

• 587881-516176-Barn1_WEB.jpg
    587881-516176-Barn1_WEB.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 380
   / Garage/Workshop Critique #5  
Is this going to be attached or free standing? How will you build it? With the tools and shop area, I'm assuming you'll be pouring concrete. If so, then I'm also assuming stick built, not pole barn. The spans you have will require engineered trusses. They are expensive. If you go steel, the span isn't an issue.

Since it looks like a basic square design. I'd seriously compare prices to a steel kit building. Price per square foot is pretty tough to beat.

Why so many cieling lights? Why not use florecent? Eight footers are what you find in commercial shops and they work great.

The vehicles can always be removed when working on projects, but it's really nice to have them far enough away that they don't have to be moved.

Where will the tractor go and all your implements? What about future implements.

The shop looks like wood only. Where will your welder go? What about an air compressor and lines to attach your air tools to?

Just my quick thoughts. It's an awesome layout and well planned. 1,400 square feet sounds like plenty of space, but if you can get more, go for it. It's really not that much more expensive to make it bigger if you can.

The bathroom is a nice touch. Where's the water heater?

What size windows are you putting in? The one behind the bandsaw is a mistake. Can you put in skylights? I was against them until I saw Henro's posts on his barn, which made me think to put them in mine. They are awesome!!!

Nice program for the plan. I always add items to my plans to get a feel for space. Have you include all your items you want to have in the future. Just because you don't think you can get them now, doesn't mean you never will.

/ Garage/Workshop Critique
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( What is the style of building? Can you add a second floor for your shop? Or better yet if you have an elevation change on the property can you put the cars under the shop?)</font>
The plan is for a slab and a stick-built building. I could add a second floor, it would depend on the additional cost (of course). I thought about putting the cars, or at least the tractor underneath, but thought it would be too much cost to build a slab that could be open underneath.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( My concerns would be that it is difficult to heat a building with garage doors in it. How will you heat the space... Dust from woodworking is explosive to open flame furnaces... Radiant is the best for shops.)</font>
Hmmm, hadn't considered that. I figured putting in a small furnace of some sort, but hadn't thought about dust.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The shop will need a dust collection system and I would run the PVC duct for that in the slab along side your 240v outlet for the tablesaw.)</font>
Good call. So you would recommend in the slab rather than overhead?

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I would also suggest framing off a dust-free finishing area for woodworking projects.)</font>
Good idea as well. A little paint booth

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( It would be cool to have a second floor... Mech shop of the ground level... Welders, tools on the ground, woodworking on the second floor....)</font>
My 13 year-old daughter is eyeing a second floor as a potential apt a couple years down the road! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Is this going to be attached or free standing? )</font>
Free-standing. Wife does not want it to be attached to the house as it would block the view (which is reasonable)

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( How will you build it? With the tools and shop area, I'm assuming you'll be pouring concrete. If so, then I'm also assuming stick built, not pole barn. The spans you have will require engineered trusses. They are expensive. If you go steel, the span isn't an issue.)</font>
Yes, slab and stick. It would be possible to put some posts in the middle. I wouldn't think this would be a big issue as the space is pretty open.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Since it looks like a basic square design. I'd seriously compare prices to a steel kit building. Price per square foot is pretty tough to beat.)</font>
Neighbor has one of those "airplane hanger/quanset hut" steel buildings. Wife hates it, decided that's what all sttel buildings look like. She wants it to match the house (can't blame her for that), so stick is in/steel is out /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Why so many cieling lights? Why not use florecent? Eight footers are what you find in commercial shops and they work great. )</font>
My drawing program didn't have florecents, so I just plunked doen the incodecents instead., but planned on the florecents. My bad.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Where will the tractor go and all your implements? What about future implements. )</font>
I have a barn they are in now, so not an issue.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The shop looks like wood only. Where will your welder go? What about an air compressor and lines to attach your air tools to?)</font>
I show the welder in the middle, right in front of the cars.
Air compressor. Forgot about that. Should it be inside or outside?

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Just my quick thoughts. It's an awesome layout and well planned. 1,400 square feet sounds like plenty of space, but if you can get more, go for it. It's really not that much more expensive to make it bigger if you can. )</font>
Thanks!

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The bathroom is a nice touch. Where's the water heater?)</font>
I was thinking about an on-demand heater since it will be low-use

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( What size windows are you putting in? The one behind the bandsaw is a mistake. Can you put in skylights? I was against them until I saw Henro's posts on his barn, which made me think to put them in mine. They are awesome!!!)</font>
Hadn't thought that far ahead yet. Why is the one behind the bandsaw a mistake? Skylights? yeah, if I stick with a single-story, that's a great idea.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Nice program for the plan. I always add items to my plans to get a feel for space. Have you include all your items you want to have in the future. Just because you don't think you can get them now, doesn't mean you never will. )</font>
I'm sure I've missed something or two!

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( First rule: Build it as big as you can afford. 2nd: Find another place for those cars. 3rd: don't store anything inside the building (except building materials) until it's done. Your layout looks good so far....Happy building..............Tom )</font>
The only way the CFO authorized funds is if she can park the cars inside in the winter (plus I keep griping that I have no place to work on them /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

/ Garage/Workshop Critique #9  
The only thing I see that I would do differently is perhaps move my bandsaw closer to the center of that wall, as it is in a permanent cut out in the workbench. I can tell you from experience working in a 10 foot wide space, it's good to have room on either end when cutting long stock material. I't hard spinning a 10' piece of lumber inside a building to cut 1 foot off the end.

/ Garage/Workshop Critique #10  
If I may be so bold as to suggest 2 9' doors rather than one 17' door. In VA heat loss in the winter is not a big thing, but, maybe cooling loss in the summer is. Opening one small door is much better than one big one in either case.

Just my personal pet peeve. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif