GARAGE DOOR OPENER QUESTION

/ GARAGE DOOR OPENER QUESTION #1  

frank_f15

Super Member, Rest in Peace
Tractor
kubota b2400- R4 tires
For the last 4 or 5 days my garage door has been opeing and closing by itself, not often but is happenning. there are no neighbors within 400 ft of me and they don't have a garage let alone an opener. Today i was working in the garage and the door statered to go down, only went a few ins. then stopped, then 2 min. later went back up. then it went all the way down, so i opened it and 5 min. later back down so i opened it again and turned the breaker off. i have the power back on for 5 hrs now and it has not moved. ANY IDEAS?

/ GARAGE DOOR OPENER QUESTION #2  
Are you in any aircraft flight path? I have heard of some openers being sensitive to aircraft radar and similar things. Poor filtration in the receivers.

Vernon

/ GARAGE DOOR OPENER QUESTION #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( For the last 4 or 5 days my garage door has been opeing and closing by itself, not often but is happenning. there are no neighbors within 400 ft of me and they don't have a garage let alone an opener. Today i was working in the garage and the door statered to go down, only went a few ins. then stopped, then 2 min. later went back up. then it went all the way down, so i opened it and 5 min. later back down so i opened it again and turned the breaker off. i have the power back on for 5 hrs now and it has not moved. ANY IDEAS? )</font>

What does the owners manual say?

/ GARAGE DOOR OPENER QUESTION #4  
Check that the door is trying to go down too far.

Mine was doing that, the door thought that there was something in the way, just barely, and would open again. Check the down stop setting and the sensitivity of the pressure switch.

/ GARAGE DOOR OPENER QUESTION
NO . the garage is 5 years old, same door and same opener, and can see nothing that has changed. airport is still 25 miles away.

/ GARAGE DOOR OPENER QUESTION
don't think that is the problem, the dorr can be down for hours then all of a sudden it will go up. Today it was up for a few hours then it just went down,

/ GARAGE DOOR OPENER QUESTION #7  
I'm not much on chasing ghosts. You might get lucky and find it after a few hours, but you can spend years and still not figure it out.

First I'd do a simple test by unplugging it and reconnecting it to an extention cord plugged into a different circuit. I doubt that will change anything, but I'd still give it a try.

Electronics go bad, dust settles and caused problems, humidity, condensation and plain old time all add to there failure. For peace of mind, buy a new one. They are simple to install and it will work better then your current one.

/ GARAGE DOOR OPENER QUESTION #8  
I have 6 Craftsman garage door openers. One of them just started acting funny over the past month. Yesterday I got fed up of not being able to get in & out of my garage bay as needed so I just changed the opener. The other units are working perfectly. 2 others are on the same electrical circuit with the one that went crazy. It acted much the way yours did, random opening/closing, partial opening, partial closing, etc.

/ GARAGE DOOR OPENER QUESTION #9  
Mine was 3 years old when it started doing goofy stuff like this. I re-set all the adjustments and it stopped. It could have been dirty, or corroded or who knows. Give it a try, what can it hurt?

BTW: Craftsman = Chamberlain

/ GARAGE DOOR OPENER QUESTION #10  
<font color="blue"> Today it was up for a few hours then it just went down,
</font>

What were you doing at the time it went down?