Ford 8n Hard to Start and No Spark

/ Ford 8n Hard to Start and No Spark #1  

DerekF

Bronze Member
Tractor
Honda Recon, Husqvarna 440, Stihl MS180,
Here’s the situation. Bought the tractor back in 2020. Started up nice and easy. Was always pretty easy to start until I parked it for a month maybe in late fall 2022.

Went to start it up and it was difficult to start. It would pop but hard to keep it going. Eventually it would start and run fine.

I dealt with this for several months. Come February, I have a hard time starting it, but eventually get it and use it for a few hours, go in for dinner, come back out, and I can’t get it to start. It won’t start at all. Leave it for a week or two and come back out and it’s hard to start but it starts up and I drive it around. Park it.

I come out the next day, won’t start at all. I put my spark tester on it and I’m getting no spark.

I order new electronic ignition assuming its points and condenser issues. Install it. Still no spark issue.

12v.
Newer battery.
Cleaned carb recently. (Before testing no spark I thought it was a flooding issue)
Side mount distributor.

Going crazy. Please help!

/ Ford 8n Hard to Start and No Spark #2  
Jump the switch.

/ Ford 8n Hard to Start and No Spark #4  
Have you made sure the small wire to distributor is hot, had voltage? The coil has voltage? Your distributor hasn't moved out of time? Which I don't know if you have front or side distributor. Side will turn.

/ Ford 8n Hard to Start and No Spark #5  
Which distributor do you have on your 8N? Front-mount or side-mount (aka angle drive)? Did you do the 12v conversion or was it done when you bought the tractor?

/ Ford 8n Hard to Start and No Spark
Which distributor do you have on your 8N? Front-mount or side-mount (aka angle drive)? Did you do the 12v conversion or was it done when you bought the tractor?

Side Mount.

It was done when I bought the tractor but I did put a new wire harness on it because the guy before me had a messy job.

/ Ford 8n Hard to Start and No Spark
Have you made sure the small wire to distributor is hot, had voltage? The coil has voltage? Your distributor hasn't moved out of time? Which I don't know if you have front or side distributor. Side will turn.

Side Mount.

Yes. I have voltage to the distributor.

/ Ford 8n Hard to Start and No Spark #8  
Have you inspected the inside of the distributor cap and rotor for damage or signs of arcing?

/ Ford 8n Hard to Start and No Spark #10  
Side Mount.

Yes. I have voltage to the distributor.
Coil? Coil makes fire. Distributor distributes it. Coil could be bad. Ohm it and see.