Ford 4000 power steering

/ Ford 4000 power steering #1  

Flemo

Tractor
Ford 4000
Gday I am working on a Ford 4000 with a power steering assist Ram on it the owner pulled it off and took it to the local shop to repair leaks when he got it back it didnt leak but oil gets very hot within 30 minutes too hot too touch! I have played around with adjustment and it all works well on bench with compressed air and steers ok on tractor but just gets very hot. I have checked all hoses and pump for restrictions and blockages, just wondering could someone send me a proper adjusting procedure and a parts breakdown so i can see wether its been put together right and how to adjust it?

/ Ford 4000 power steering #2  
Sounds like control valve is not centering
Or piston seal is cut

/ Ford 4000 power steering #3  
   / Ford 4000 power steering
Thanks for your reply Tractor Tech but my steering cylinder is different than that as it only has one on the LHS and the actuater valve is part of the cylinder. It is an early 3 cyl one though it seems these tractors had a few different cylinders on them from factory! Any thoughts?

/ Ford 4000 power steering #5  
Yes your control valve is on cylinder if it is over tightened it will stick and stay on causing oil to get hot
Or piston seal is cut and steering it will do same thing from bypassing oil
Will still steer but be hard because it is power assist not power steering

/ Ford 4000 power steering #6  
Thanks for your reply Tractor Tech but my steering cylinder is different than that as it only has one on the LHS and the actuater valve is part of the cylinder. It is an early 3 cyl one though it seems these tractors had a few different cylinders on them from factory! Any thoughts?
That is a single cylinder on the LHS. The cylinder portion is 1-4. The rest is the actuator.

/ Ford 4000 power steering
Sorry Tractor tech was looking at wrong page I see it now will see how I go