Flightradar24 Interesting Finds

/ Flightradar24 Interesting Finds #11  
What's very interesting to me is you can tell which are 4-engine large jets. Click on them, and most are 747 cargo jets heading to and from Asia via Anchorage, Alaska.

I grew up around airplanes. I had two good friends whose fathers were both aircraft salesmen at different local airports. They had to keep current in many different models, so I got to go on a lot of rides while they built hours. And, our neighbors had no children and an airplane, so they took me around too. Ended up working at airports for 6 years while putting myself through school. I've lived near the airport most of my life, so get to see all kinds of neat stuff. (y)

Several times a night I'll watch Flightradar24, just to see what's out there.

Watching O'Hare at rush times is fascinating. Same things with Memphis for Fed-X. A lot of planes coming in from Europe to Memphis fly north to south over Indiana. And Louisville for UPS.

Anyhow, fun hobby.
I’m in the flight path of IND now. Lots of FedEx here too they have a large hub here.

Used to live in path of Tyndall AFB(when they were home of the F22’s. You had to quit talking when one came in on landing approach or were headed out toward Eglin. I miss those sights.

/ Flightradar24 Interesting Finds
Moss,

Yes I also enjoy flight aware and flight radar looking at what's up in the sky's above.

We are in the NE corridor where all the flights route to/from Europe.

Then locally we have Pease AFB with the new KC-46 Tanker replacing the KC135.

There is an app that you can point at a plane in the sky, and it will return the details ‎Plane Finder ⁃ Flight Tracker which is pretty cool. There are other apps that do similar.
Nice! Thanks.

I was at a campfire last summer with family friends, and was looking at the constellations and planets, and a kid whips out her cell phone, points it at the sky, and it tells her what constellations are what, which planets, and which old Russian rocket booster or satellite is overhead, when it was launched, and on and on.

Cell phone tech and apps can be very entertaining at times. (y)

I’m in the flight path of IND now. Lots of FedEx here too they have a large hub here.

Used to live in path of Tyndall AFB(when they were home of the F22’s. You had to quit talking when one came in on landing approach or were headed out toward Eglin. I miss those sights.
I have family in Indy, siblings that went to school in Bloomington, and I like taking that route from here to St. Louis towards Oklahoma, so I get down by that airport 3-4 times a year at the least, usually many more. Big Fed-X hub for sure. I like that airport. I'd rather fly out of there over the two Chicago airports any day. With the highway improvements on the north side of Indy (you're welcome, that was our toll road money), we can now get there in about 2:15. Very nice.

Our local Fed-X 757 leaves for Memphis every night. Our UPS 757 heads to Ft. Wayne, then Louisville. You'd think a short hop like that cannot be the most efficient, however, I'm sure the bean counters have proven it acceptable.

/ Flightradar24 Interesting Finds #15  
I'm also a FlightRadar24 fanboy. I currently use the Basic version. Have you used the upgraded versions and if so, are they worth the $10/yr Silver or $35/yr Gold?
Nope. I use the basic as well. good enough for me.

/ Flightradar24 Interesting Finds #17  
I use FlightRadar also to check what planes are flying over from time to time, especially when I'm sitting out on the deck at night in the summer watching the stars. Pretty neat tool.

One time back in mid October I saw someone post (somewhere on social media) about Blackhawk helicopters being seen in way higher numbers than normal. Checked Flightradar and sure enough, there were dozens and dozens of them out that night, all over the US. I think one of the posts I saw related to it said they counted something like 72 of them when normally there would be about 5 in the air in the US at any typicaly time. Many of them flying throughout my state (MN) and around many metro areas. Must have been some type of military exercise or something, but that was pretty weird to see.

I've only seen a few military planes on Flightradar24. I never see them when, for example, they come in to town to do flyovers during the National Anthem at Notre Dame football games. I don't think they are required to use their transponders to identify themselves. So I'd be surprised if there were blackhawk helicopters showing up in that sight.

I know I can see dozens of helicopters on Flightradar24 at any given time, especially around large metro areas. Mostly medical helicopters as far as I can tell.

D614B3A6-DDA0-4344-BD92-EBCE739AF733.jpeg