First time in snow

/ First time in snow #1  

RobertN

Tractor
New Holland TC40D
Used my NH TC40D in the snow for the first time today; in the foothills outside Sacramento, we usually do not get more than a dusting now and then. Today, had 4-5".

Now I know what the north-east guys talk about; my R4 tires were not very impressive... Even with the rear tires loaded, traction was blehh.

/ First time in snow #2  
It looks like by Wednesday or Thursday your snow should be gone. I don't feel one bit sorry for you. :laughing:

/ First time in snow #3  
The the R4's are not great. I plow with them but have to watch the hills and off camber areas.

Last edited:
   / First time in snow #4  
I've been plowing with R4's for 9 years and think they work great. I also use 4WD. They are terrible on hard pack snow or ice but so is any other style tire. That's when I add rear ballast and chains.
By the way, 4-5" here is what we call a dusting of snow. We usually don't get the tractor out for less than that.

/ First time in snow #6  
Used my NH TC40D in the snow for the first time today; in the foothills outside Sacramento, we usually do not get more than a dusting now and then. Today, had 4-5".

Now I know what the north-east guys talk about; my R4 tires were not very impressive... Even with the rear tires loaded, traction was blehh.
That's the main reason I went back to titan R1,s.I hated my titan R4,s in mud and snow.Both sets of tires were loaded with rim guard.

/ First time in snow #7  
In the same area, it's 24 degrees outside now and much of the snow is still there. Glad I don't have to drive around on what is probably ice at this point.

/ First time in snow
Ya, this is not the norm for us. Occasional dusting, but that is usually all.

I've been plowing with R4's for 9 years and think they work great. I also use 4WD. They are terrible on hard pack snow or ice but so is any other style tire. That's when I add rear ballast and chains.
By the way, 4-5" here is what we call a dusting of snow. We usually don't get the tractor out for less than that.

/ First time in snow #9  

Mine did pretty well today, but I have on heavy ballast on the 3pt as well as the loaded tires.

Another thing you can do is the cutting/siping thing with your R4s to add some more traction.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/snow-removal/193438-cutting-groving-siping-r-4-a.html

James K0UA

/ First time in snow #10  

Yeah, same here. Unless it's really wet, heavy snow I don't get the tractor out unless we get 6" or more. 3-6" I'll use the ATV to plow, under 3" don't even bother to clear it. I just let it pack down for a base.