F3990 vs newer F3710 4wd front deck mowers

/ F3990 vs newer F3710 4wd front deck mowers
I tried the rear discharge once.
My thick grass windrowed so bad I said never again.
But that’s the only choice we have with wide multiple decks.

Gosh why can’t Kubota offer an 84 inch cut single deck with side discharge

I drove 60 miles today to an Orange dealer to try out a F3710 in the parking lot.
It doesn’t do a 2pt U turn (I don’t spin around tearing up grass like kids) like my Zero as I don’t mow in circles.
But I knew an 8ft long unit wouldn’t with the extra tailswing but it did way better than a 60hp farm tractor I use to mow with b4 my Zero’s

The 4wd would be superb on my steep banks & wet spots.

/ F3990 vs newer F3710 4wd front deck mowers #103  
I tried the rear discharge once.
My thick grass windrowed so bad I said never again.
But that’s the only choice we have with wide multiple decks.

Gosh why can’t Kubota offer an 84 inch cut single deck with side discharge

1. Too heavy and ponderous of a single deck for a small machine like a zero turn.
2. Side discharge across a 7’ deck is not easy, especially in tall/wet/thick grass.
3. Can you say “scalping”?
4. Would require 4-5 spindles on the deck and thats an incredible power draw. It would probably require 45HP to run. That coupled with a 4-5 spindle, 84” deck would probably run $40,000++.
5. Not many people want an 84” zero turn since it would be heavy, expensive and not very maneuverable, so there’s little impetus or profit in undertaking such a venture.

But Hustler & Exmark offer wide cuts Not side discharge I admit.
A ZD1511 frame would handle a 12” wider swath deck weight.

I mentioned b4 that I mowed for several years with a 110 inch single deck rear finishing mower @ 4.5 without scalping as you mentioned.
Worked great but cumbersome with a tractor turning around & didn’t save one bit of time over my current 72 Zero

Bush Hog had a 90 inch side discharge RFM & it slung heavy clippings out fine as long as grass was fairly dry.

/ F3990 vs newer F3710 4wd front deck mowers #105  
But Hustler & Exmark offer wide cuts Not side discharge I admit.

I haven’t ever seen a 84” side discharge on a zero turn. Those are also very expensive and very low volume units. Think of it from a manufacturer-they are in business to make money. Making a model that only sells a few dozen units makes no fiscal sense.
A ZD1511 frame would handle a 12” wider swath deck weight.

But it wouldn’t have enough power for 1 or 2 more spindles, 1 or 2 more blades, a longer belt and the umph to to push it out while climbing hills. That’s why they switch to a higher HP engine and multiple decks.
I mentioned b4 that I mowed for several years with a 110 inch single deck rear finishing mower @ 4.5 without scalping as you mentioned.

But that’s just you. Most people don’t have yards with 7 feet of clear swath everywhere. Again, think of how few units they’d sell with a 84” deck that scalps, instead thats why they offer 100-120” multiple decks instead. They flex over uneven ground and they are usually coupled to a 38+ HP engine.
Worked great but cumbersome with a tractor turning around & didn’t save one bit of time over my current 72 Zero

Bush Hog had a 90 inch side discharge RFM & it slung heavy clippings out fine as long as grass was fairly dry.

But those are run by a farm tractor with a much more robust frame, more GC, more power. They have a heavier duty PTO gearbox.
There’s no comparison between a zero turn and a farm tractor for handling heavy implements.

I agree with all that & my 72 needs more than 30 HP in thick grass on hills.

I was meaning the frame size of ZD1511 would handle 6” more on each side.

Kubota use to offer a 100” batwing deck on the F similar to the 96 Exmark & 104” Hustler zeros but they dropped it & im sure it was a slow seller

Last edited:
   / F3990 vs newer F3710 4wd front deck mowers #107  

I was meaning the frame size of ZD1511 would handle 6” more on each side.

you’d be surprised at how much more stress an extra 6” would put on the deck mounts. Its like a giant “lever”. The power draw would require another 5HP.

Kubota use to offer a 100” batwing deck on the F similar to the 96 Exmark & 104” Hustler zeros but they dropped it & im sure it was a slow seller
I came super close to buying one. I remember it was in Indiana. It was an F3680 just like mine.

/ F3990 vs newer F3710 4wd front deck mowers #108  

......snip.......

F3060 with 30 hp 1.3L 4-cylinder engine and 72 inch RD deck is doing fine in the hills but I admit the couple of hills in my yard are pretty small.

RD deck has almost 6 foot outlet in the rear and the clippings come out fast & easy so it may use little less energy.

Yes windrows are noticeable if mowing tall wet grass.

IMG_3656.jpeg

I took the pins & PTO shaft loose so I could see how easily the deck folds up for service.

Definitely not easy & quick as my ZD but doable

Last edited:
   / F3990 vs newer F3710 4wd front deck mowers #110  
Here’s what I’d be using in your situation:
It’s NOT rear discharge.

1713784551018.png