.DXF Drawing Software ??????

/ .DXF Drawing Software ?????? #1  

mcd176

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800HD / Kubota B2150
I know that AutoCAD uses the .DXF file extension however are there any other CAD programs out there that are cheaper than AutoCAD that use the .DXF extension?

I need a program to be able to save in this format because I found a water jet cutting business that will do small jobs.

Thanks

Mike

/ .DXF Drawing Software ?????? #3  
Ditto using the TurboCAD. I've sent numerous drawings saved as .dxf and .dwg to be laser cut without a problem.....Mike

/ .DXF Drawing Software ?????? #4  
I use google sketchup myself with the .dxf/.stl plugin, I then drop the .dxf into mastercam at work to use with the cnc mill.

/ .DXF Drawing Software ?????? #5  
Most cad programs will export a dxf file.
If you are exporting just 2d geometry to be machined igs may be a better universal format.

/ .DXF Drawing Software ?????? #6  
i use autosketch, whitch is also an autodesk program. the current version (10) is $250, but you can get the previous version (9) on ebay for $40 right now. i bought my copy of version 9 on ebay last year for $30.

/ .DXF Drawing Software ?????? #7  
Anybody ever use the old GenericCadd? I'm still pissed because they bought it just to squash it.

/ .DXF Drawing Software ?????? #9  
The autodesk website has a free viewer for .dxf files that you can download.

/ .DXF Drawing Software ?????? #10  
I've used 3D modeling software for my career for over ten years. Learned four or five different CAD softwares so far. The investment in TIME to learn the software is more significant than getting the lowest price on the planet, in my opinion.
If you want to learn the software that will soon be the most popular 3D CAD, and so most universally accepted, due to price/performance, purchase the student edition of Solidworks (about $180). It has a very slick sheetmetal toolkit in it, and looks to be the best value I have seen. I have not used Solidworks yet myself, but have been informed that "it is coming and will be the next package we use".
Watch the Solidworks Sheetmetal tool here:
DS SolidWorks Corp.