Doing More Work with the LS

/ Doing More Work with the LS #11  
I am fantasizing about maybe building myself or maybe just buying a tree spade to put on one of the Tractors, perhaps the Yanmar FEL ,just for rooting out rocks and maybe even use it for planting shrub and such that the wife likes to set everywhere. I think that would be a handy tool

Hey Gary,

I don't think there's a "native" rock on my entire place. I plan to import some boulders though for the huge pond I plan to have out there some day.

Another option that might work would be a stump bucket like I got last November. I use it more than any other SSQA item. Having a narrow area with teeth makes it easy to cut roots because it concentrates all the cutting/digging force in a small area. It works great on my little CUT so it should be really sweet on a beast like your 7010. I would think rooting out rocks would be a breeze, though you might have to change it out to carry off the really big ones.

Attachments

• stump_bucket.jpg
    stump_bucket.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 180
  • stumpbucket2.jpg
    stumpbucket2.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 183
   / Doing More Work with the LS #12  
I saw those advertised and for the price, I dont know if I could buy the steel and build one as cheap. I dont know how some of the guys on here get so lucky in finding bargain pricing for "scrap" that just fits their needs and then get it at 1/2 the scrap iron pricing or free. I can never find that good a deal. I may have got a small deal on my Kubota 900 RTV @ $8750 but it was not a great deal like some folks here get. As far as scrap steel, I have none, so anything I build I have to buy everything. I guess I will just have to weight the use versus the dollars and see if I will have enough use to justify the cost. My only concern with buying one on the internet is that you cant really tell if they are strong enough to stand up to the 7010. You can put a lot of pressure on something with that tractor without really feeling it.
Like the guys talking about using their bucket for driving post and needing to put some dirt in it for weight, heck mine will bend a t post double before all the weight of the bucket even gets on it.

The only real bargain I have is my LS tractor and I didnt need to get consensus from the TBN crowd to know it was a good deal. Some folks are so brand loyal that they wouldnt buy outside orange/green/red regardless of the price or obviously better or at least equally built machine. That is their loss and we LS guys will continue to use our great tractors and use the difference in money to buy more toys.

/ Doing More Work with the LS
As I get oler I find it was a mistake not to accept welding school from the U.S. Navy when I was active.
I could build one more me.
That is a cool unit Lil' Blue:thumbsup:

/ Doing More Work with the LS #14  
As I get oler I find it was a mistake not to accept welding school from the U.S. Navy when I was active.
I could build one more me.
That is a cool unit Lil' Blue:thumbsup:

Glad you like it.

I can't weld either, but I'm going to try to learn. I've got a buddy that can and he's helped me with a couple of projects. (I supply the materials, electricity, and beer while he supplies the skills.) We added 2.5" - 1/4" angle iron to the top of the loader bucket to prevent bends and to provide support for a 2" receiver and some grab hooks. (The dealer added the ones on the edge of the bucket.)

Another guy gave me a 4" square tube - 1/4" steel gate post because I needed something to knock down brush when using the cutter. (I tried using the loader bucket for that but was afraid I'd mess up the loader arms if I accidentally caught dirt or a stump.) There's a place just a couple of miles away that has new and scrap steel. Bought a piece of scrap 1/2" steel plate for the support. We welded it up, drilled 4 holes, primed and painted it, bought longer/stronger/bigger bolts and then mounted it behind the grill guard. I've raised it a couple of inches since the photo because it was a little too low.

Attachments

• bucketmods.jpg
    bucketmods.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 167
  • brushbumper.jpg
    brushbumper.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 164
   / Doing More Work with the LS #15  
I dont think you would damage the FEL by hitting a stump. I used to run my ol Yanmar with the fel down low for just that reason when I first bought my place. It was overgrown with brush and weeds and I did hit a cedar stump. No damage to the FEL. Once I was clipping along in 3 H range (about 8 MPH) and hit a sink hole dip that was about 3 feet deep but grass coving it was level so it wasnt that obvious. Must have been an old tree root ball that was removed or something. ANY way, the FEL dipped and plunged into the ground. Instant stop. I about went over the steering wheel, but no damage to the Tractor or FEL. They are pretty tough. I used mine to push over trees, ride the tractor up till the front wheels were 3 feet off the ground and never hurt it. NOW you could spring them up if you hang on corner of the bucket under a root or something and get really agressive with lift it up and pushing in 4 WD. My Yanmar V3 is pretty darn tough and the LS seems to be even stronger built. The only thing with the V3 is trying to keep the bolts in it where it bolts to the tractor frame. They just keep getting loose and falling out no matter what I do to tighten them. I have a couple that I have to replace in it now, before I can use it again.
I just keep my bucket level so that if it hits something it hits with the blade edge straight on. That is the strongest position. If you had the bucket curled up so the bottom if facing forward, you may bend it if you hit a stump hard, but if you keep the bucket level, I think you would be ok.

/ Doing More Work with the LS #16  
I dont think you would damage the FEL by hitting a stump. I used to run my ol Yanmar with the fel down low for just that reason when I first bought my place. It was overgrown with brush and weeds and I did hit a cedar stump. No damage to the FEL. Once I was clipping along in 3 H range (about 8 MPH) and hit a sink hole dip that was about 3 feet deep but grass coving it was level so it wasnt that obvious. Must have been an old tree root ball that was removed or something. ANY way, the FEL dipped and plunged into the ground. Instant stop. I about went over the steering wheel, but no damage to the Tractor or FEL. They are pretty tough. I used mine to push over trees, ride the tractor up till the front wheels were 3 feet off the ground and never hurt it. NOW you could spring them up if you hang on corner of the bucket under a root or something and get really agressive with lift it up and pushing in 4 WD. My Yanmar V3 is pretty darn tough and the LS seems to be even stronger built. The only thing with the V3 is trying to keep the bolts in it where it bolts to the tractor frame. They just keep getting loose and falling out no matter what I do to tighten them. I have a couple that I have to replace in it now, before I can use it again.
I just keep my bucket level so that if it hits something it hits with the blade edge straight on. That is the strongest position. If you had the bucket curled up so the bottom if facing forward, you may bend it if you hit a stump hard, but if you keep the bucket level, I think you would be ok.

The other reason I came up with the brush bumper was because I couldn't see very well with bucket on. Tried using forks instead and that wasn't a whole lot better and not wide enough. When I pulled the FEL off and put the bumper on I had great visibility and maneuverability. And it knocked down all the brush and fire ant hills really well. I hit a hidden 9" diameter stump with it and it stopped me dead in my tracks. No problem as I hog in 2-wheel drive. It even gave a little to cushion the impact. Was totally thrilled with it until I pulled up to put the loader back on and discovered the bumper interfered with the dismount support arms. Had to come up with an alternative method for mounting and unmounting the FEL. I know a lot of people never remove their FEL, but doing so makes it a lot easier to hog in amongst the trees.

/ Doing More Work with the LS #17  
Sounds like now that you have it cut down and know where the stumps are, it's time to get out the chainsaw or dynamite and get rid of those pesky stumps for good. Then you wouldnt need the bumper anymore, so no more FEL interference. I just used my FEL on the Yanmar to push over the grass so the seeds didnt stop up my radiator so bad when hogging tall grass. seeing as it is only about knee high. I dont think I will have that problem with the LS since the bottom of the radiator is about chest high. I dont think my grass will get that high again before cutting it.

I think I have gotten all the stumps out now. I had one old cedar that was solid and I had it remove with a dozer, so I should be good to go now.