DIRT CHEAP?

/ DIRT CHEAP? #1  

frank_f15

Super Member, Rest in Peace
Tractor
kubota b2400- R4 tires
where did that expression come from? i just bought 4 yards of topsoil, shredded and sifted delivered for $110.42, that don't sound like cheap dirt to me /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ DIRT CHEAP? #2  
I pay $8.00 per yard delivered and buy 100 yards at a time. The top soil that I purchase is called "recycled loam". It consists of ground up tree stumps, manures of unknown origin, and the first cut of loam from the farm fields. Nothing larger than a 3/4" stone in it, and there is a fair amount of ground wood pieces, but they are about 1/8" diameter and about 1" long. Also, an occasional small piece of glass that is so old that the edges are worn smooth... The plants grow well in it and the wood holds the moisture in the soil well. When I consider the alternative "loam" screened and processed at $25 - $30 per yard plus delivery, I am very pleased with the product that I get.

/ DIRT CHEAP? #3  
I just priced some good clean sand and sandy loam two days ago at $27.50 a yard plus $50 delivery fee; minimum of 3 yards.

/ DIRT CHEAP? #4  
Well I know there is a difference, but I have geen giving $10 for full tri axle loads of dirt fill (about 25 tons...no idea on cu. Yards...)

Not really top soil, but not total clay either...guess I should feel OK about it... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ DIRT CHEAP? #5  
That is really a great price to pay for hazardous waste!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I would want to know what I was getting for "fill" if someone was willing to dump tri axle loads for $10.00. If you don't know what is in it, it could be contaminated soil that you are accepting. Try to find out where it is coming from before you accept any more. You wouldn't be the first person to have this scam played on them. At one time, I was going to accept the sand that the town swept up from the roads as fill for a hole on my property, until I learned from a friend that works for the State Department of Environmental Protection, that the sand was considered hazardous waste because of the salt that is mixed in with it. Now they dump it in the town landfill.

/ DIRT CHEAP? #6  
Did you buy it by the bag? Our construction company gets about 100$ to deliver an 18 yard load in the local area.. if it isn't local, there is a delivery fee .. usually not more than 50$.

Soundguy

/ DIRT CHEAP? #7  
The county crew was cleaning ditches and doing shoulder work on our road last week, I caught the driver and landed 5 loads of nice sandy soil, (10 wheeler dump truck loads). My wife dropped off drinks and a plate of cookies. It's not screened topsoil, but the price was right.

As for salt content, this is a country road that sees very little salt. We've also had 30+ inches of rain since spring, so I imagine any salt was leached away months ago.

/ DIRT CHEAP? #8  
I thought I had a deal on some dirt a couple weeks ago because the DOT is adding a lane and reworking the existing roadways on the interstate near my property. They were hauling further to dump than I am from the work area. Fortunately, the contracting foreman was helpful enough to explain to me that what they had wasn't really what I should use for my intended purpose. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I was impressed and grateful. Even though it would have made their life easier and save them time and fuel plus saved them the dump fees (he was hauling to the landfill), this guy not only did right by me but also told me he'd keep my number for when some decent clay base came available.

/ DIRT CHEAP?
no i bought it loose , delived in dump truck.